Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: gas tank ?

Post Thanks / Like

Default gas tank ?

I am getting a new plastic 6gal gas tank gor my boat. My question is can I restore/ clean up the other metal gas tank i have. The shop said it has deposits that are clogging the carb.

So should i keep it and clean it up or just throw it out.

Thanks
    Love, what more can I say

Post Thanks / Like

Mighty you can clean it up. there is some stuff that I used on other metal gas tanks on motor cycles and small engines. it has two parts one that gets rid of all the rust and trash out and then you put the coating in that seals the tank its a silver color. you have to remove everything from the tank to use the stuff. And after that you have no more problems. I'll try and findout the name brand I don't have any right now so not sure of the name.
    MT.DEW AND JP8 IN THE MORNING GETS THE BLOOD FLOWING.

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Clean it out and install a 10 micron water seperator/filter between the tank and the primer bulb. You should have one anyway if you have to run ethanol gas like we do.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by grubby
    Mighty you can clean it up. there is some stuff that I used on other metal gas tanks on motor cycles and small engines. it has two parts one that gets rid of all the rust and trash out and then you put the coating in that seals the tank its a silver color. you have to remove everything from the tank to use the stuff. And after that you have no more problems. I'll try and findout the name brand I don't have any right now so not sure of the name.
    You might be talking about this http://www.instantop.com/CyclePage/Kreem.htm

Looking at the cost of this product, it depends on how bad you want to restore that metal tank. I've used this before on an ATV tank. It works great, BUT, you gotta follow the instructions exactly. It's a 3-part kit that 1) removes the rust, 2) etches the tank so the liner will adhere, and 3) lines the tank. The only reason I did this is because I wanted to keep the original tank.........a new one cost much $$$$$. JC Whitney has it, also.

Hope this helps...
    If I Ain't Crappie Fishin', I'm Thinkin' About It............

Post Thanks / Like

you can also dump a crap load of bb's into the tank and shake it over and over and over and over, or most small engin shops will do it for you and minimal cost

Big
    Stinkies Daddy

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stinkies daddy
    you can also dump a crap load of bb's into the tank and shake it over and over and over and over, or most small engin shops will do it for you and minimal cost

Big

Yep, that's kinda what I did with the rust-ridder part of the kit...........I got a double hand of old nuts, bolts, washers, etc.......and gave it a good continuous tumbling ever once in a while. It'll definately make the rust turn loose.

Post Thanks / Like

plastic cans are cheap, to me its not worth the time and expense to fix the old metal can. you still run the risk of not putting the "fix it stuff" in the metal can correctly and your no better off.

Post Thanks / Like

Toss the metal can. Why risk motor damage when the plastic containers are so cheap? Just my $.02.
    A&R JIGS - PRO STAFF
    LIGHTWIRE HOOKS - PRO STAFF

Post Thanks / Like

I like the plastic ones because of the cost, but mostly because I'm lazy and if I dont have to do any upkeep on something I dont.

Post Thanks / Like

Don't know if they're all made that way, but the red plastic was transparent enough that allowed you to see your gas level (at least in daylight). That was one of the features I liked.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast