Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Signatures arrgh!!! (long, not fishing related)

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy Signatures arrgh!!! (long, not fishing related)

I'm probably going to be stepping on some toes, but I'm getting a little irritated at the way "signatures" are being used. I know these boards are not mine to control, and I don't want the control. And I don't really want to limit free speech or anything like that. And I don't want to flame anyone in particular. I hope no one will be offended by this post, but I expect there will be some who are. I'm just venting some of my own irritation.

My opinions, all of this.

Signatures can be used different ways, to pass on a little humor, spout a little religion or life philosophy, brag about your football team It might have a short phrase or even a small picture/image. The signature generally lets the readers have a little more insight into the personality of the author.

1. I don't like signatures that seem to dominate the post. One kind of signature that rubs me wrong has large or multiple pictures and/or images in them, enough that it takes up most of my computer screen to read one post in the thread. What's the post supposed to be about anyway? The message is what I'm looking for.

2. Another signature that bothers me and seems a bit tacky is one that is an ad or commercial for the author's business. If it's small and unobtrusive, fine. We see commercial ads on most web sites all the time and I guess we're used to them. But these signatures are, again, quite large relative to the message of the post. These seem to be blatantly taking advantage of signatures for commercial purposes. Crappie.com has a small business directory where you can advertise yourself or your products.

3. Related to #2, some of these signatures that are blatant advertising also appear to be posting ads for other commercial enterprises as well. Are these other ads related for another business of the poster, or a friend, or what? What are these "Pro Staff" things with web sites you see in some of the signatures? I assume it's more advertising for someone other than the author. If you want to post ads for others, put them in the web site's small business director.

I love this web site and being able to read what all is going on in the different forums. Again, these are all just my opinions. I may be making some wrong assumptions about what I'm seeing. And I may regret posting this, but it's been "that kind of week" and I'm feeling kind of "b***hy" tonight. My apologies to any I may have offended.

That's enough (probably too much) said.
    I need to go fishiing and chill out.
    Last edited by CrappiePappy; 09-17-2007 at 09:57 AM.
    Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men...Matt 4:19

Post Thanks / Like

I agree, to a small extent. Especially about multiple pictures since I have dial up, but once they're in your cache they load pretty quick.
    You can cut off the option to view signatures if they bother you though, click User CP at the top left of your screen, click Edit Options under Settings & Options, and scroll down until you see Thread Display Options. Uncheck View Signatures, and make sure to hit Save Changes at the bottom. You can also cut off any pictures from showing, and avatars.

Post Thanks / Like

Well I dont mean to sound like a smart ass.....but if you take it that way im sry.
    But if you click on user Cp ...then scroll down to edition options..then scroll down to Thread Display Options you can uncheck avatars & siggys so you wont have to see them if they bother you any longer.

Hope this helps.....todd

Post Thanks / Like

sry smooth we both must have been typing same time.....sorry again.but yes people can end them if they want.Didnt know if they knew the option was there. Again sry.

Post Thanks / Like

The great thing about mine is....DRUM ROLL PLEASE....It's Crappie Related!!! This is a crappie message board isn't it? Also, I resize and set my photos to be able to down load QUICKLY over dial-up so I know they come down lightening quick for DSL or Cable. All mine is is a digital copy of my business card.

I'm not trying to step on any toes either BUT I think you might just have another agenda other than signatures.
    Last edited by sac-a-lait; 09-11-2007 at 11:18 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I see no problems with advertizing for your bunisses or fun pic's on your post,found some good hand tied jigs on here this way that i probley would not have found, Personal opinon this site is great and nothing is wrong with the way people post Ken

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Kinser
    I see no problems with advertising for your businesses or fun pic's on your post,found some good hand tied jigs on here this way that i probably would not have found, Personal opinion this site is great and nothing is wrong with the way people post Ken

I Agree with Ken and with the options for viewing you can almost format it to suit yourself.
    smiles are contagious, spread them around
    Proud Member of the ZIPPER Club
    & Team Geezer

Post Thanks / Like

Angry Sigs

Me thinks Eddie needs to go fishing a little more. I love this site just the way it is!! With exception of telemaketers!!!:p

Post Thanks / Like

I really don't have a problem with the advertising as long as it is crappie related. Some of the biggest names in the business post on here and share a lot of insight. Those being guides or lure designers or on line tackle shop owners. Some pros that have endorsements. As long as they are helping the well being and success of other crappie anglers here then I don't mind that they make some money in the process. We still have a choice on whether to spend money with them or not. they are just putting out there that they have an item or service that could make our fishing experiences more successful and more enjoyable. I am not one of them unless someone finds a way to make corn a better fishing bait for crappie. if that happens then I will be open for business.:D Eddie, I have no problem with your opinion and can understand it. It can be fun to have a very personalized signature and just part of who you are. As you can see, mine is short and to the point. Don't feel like regretting posting this. You have the right to your opinion and You should share it if you feel you should. Just be ready to pay the price if you know what I mean. CF
    The Original Woodsgoat Hater
    2011 NWR Bash Yellow Perch Champion

Post Thanks / Like

The advertising on this site is here to stay. Like pop-up ads, though, they're easily controlled. Just adjust your user options as mentioned above.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast