Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: circle hooks

Post Thanks / Like

Talking circle hooks

I had a question bout circle hooks and sickle hooks. I did some research over the weekend. !st I went to sportsmans wherehouse, I really didnt need a reason to go but I used the circle hooks as a reason any way. I purchessed a few packs sizes 2, 6, and 8. after "Lil" and I looked all over the store and found some much needed sassifras candy we were gone. Later that night I rigged my rods with slip corks some shot, and the circle hooks. next stop was the bait shop 1 tube and 2 dozen and i was off to the lake. boat in the water I'm a happy dude..................... oh crap...................... key turning gets me nowhere. Thank the good Lord that i only have a 40, 1 pull and she fires up. Happy dude again. Get to my spot and bait up a cricket, flawless cast right to the corner of the mossy dock. bang hook up fish on, its really hard to remember not to set the hook. fish landed. Happy dude. caught about 25 fish that morning, i gut hook, my fault, let him have a lil to much slack. didnt keep any fish this day, but did deside that i like circle hooks. I will have to let you know bout how thwy work on crappie, as i was blown out on those specks . as far as gills the circle hooks worked great!
    Stinkies Daddy

Post Thanks / Like

This Is What I Like About This Site. In The Field Testing And Comentary On Said Results. Thanks Stinkies Daddy On The Review Of The Old Circle Hooks. Might Have To Try A Pack Or Two Myself.

Post Thanks / Like

My 2 cents worth: I love circle hooks.............for everything but crappie! Circle hooks catch the side of the mouth and in crappie that is the part that tears the easiest. I want to catch the crappie in the roof of the mouth especially if he is a big one. I tried the circles with crappie and they work great for the under 1 pound fish. However, get a big one on and the ol' paper mouth may easily break and you will lose your big fish!

Post Thanks / Like

I read this article yesterday on survivability of fish (redfish) with Circle hooks, offset circles and J-hooks at SC DNR. It sounds like so many more fish die with the J-hooks. Here's the LINK. I understand your perspective on the paper mouth. I thought the article may be of interest to yall.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bad_angler
    I read this article yesterday on survivability of fish (redfish) with Circle hooks, offset circles and J-hooks at SC DNR. It sounds like so many more fish die with the J-hooks. Here's the LINK. I understand your perspective on the paper mouth. I thought the article may be of interest to yall.
    Good information! However, I really believe it depends on the size of the fish (crappie, bass, reds, catfish, etc.). I switched to circle hooks on catfish about 2 years ago and incresed my hook set rate from about 50% to 90%. I have yet to EVER gut hook one.

Post Thanks / Like

I echo tarheel's sentiments. I like circle hooks for most anything - much lower gut-hook occurrence - but with crappie, i want them hooked in the roof of the mouth - and you won't get that with circle hooks. As fragile as their lips are, you stand a n extra good chance of loosing lip-hooked fish that have any size to them.

For gills, perch, cats, bullhead, bass, trout, (most everything else) I like the way circles work. Just need to be conscious that you're using them so you don't try to set the hook - and pull it out of their mouth.

Post Thanks / Like

Is there anyplace to purchase the sickle hook jig heads??

Post Thanks / Like

Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Southern Sickle Jigs Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

I like circle hooks, but I wouldn't use them on smaller fish or fish that have thin mouths. I'll occasionally use them inshore fishing at the beach and on catfish.

Post Thanks / Like

ok now i have circle hooks figgered out. but what bout sickle hooks? where do i get some? how do they work? what size for crappie?. i been using just regular ole hooks and the 1's with the cam built into them, but it kills me to see 1 that is gonna die cuz its been hooked to deep. does any one think this is possable to do on a crappie
    http://magazine-directory.com/In-Fisherman.htm
    go almost to the bottom and click on Deep-Hook Removal Technique
    your input is much desired

Big
    Last edited by stinkies daddy; 09-10-2007 at 06:10 PM.
    Stinkies Daddy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast