Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Second Unit

Post Thanks / Like

Default Second Unit

I have a HB 997 and love it. Right now its mounted on the front of the boat by the trolling motor. Since you get your best images going about 2-4 mph, I,m gonna move the 997 back to the console and buy something new for the front of the boat. I want something color and a Humminbird unit so I can share the GPS antenna with the 997. It also needs to be compatible with the US2 feature on my MinnKota trolling motor. I know I may not have many choices given all I'm trying to do but your suggestions would be helpful. Let me know what ya think.

Thanks,
    Buzz

Post Thanks / Like

Default Many options

Buzz, you got lots of options. Just about any Matrix, 100 series, 300 series, 500 series, 700 series or 900 series unit will work off the Minn Kota Universal 2 transducer. Stay away from the 3D units but all the others should work. Since you have the US2 I would at least get a 200/83kHz DualBeam unit. You did not say if you want a Sonar-GPS Combo "Chartplotter" type unit (has maps, can use map cards, could be an NVB version, has the Mark, Goto, Info and Zoom buttons) or a Sonar "Trackplotter" type unit (will not display maps, no sonar or image recording as there is no SD card slot, all GPS functions are performed through menus and not with committed buttons as in the Chartplotter type units).
    Got a price range or screen size/resolution in mind?
    How do you plan on sharing the GPS receiver (there are 3 options that I know of)?
    Do you want to be able to share waypoints between units while on the boat (you would need the InterLink for this).

Greg Walters at Humminbird
    [email protected]
    I help because I can

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Greg,

Thanks for the reply. I would like to share the way-points with the 997 and share the gps antenna. Color would be nice and I was looking to try to stay in the $500-$700 range if possible.

This 997 is too cool. I took two friends out fishing this weekend and they are both gonna get one. One friend should be ordering this week.

Thanks again,
    Buzz

Post Thanks / Like

Buzz,
    The 787c2 Si Combo unit lists for $650 on the Humminbird web site and the same unit minus the GPS receiver is $550. You should be able to find better pricing elsewhere but at least its in your price range. I would get the second GPS receiver and have it as a back up - just in case. Ask around about the display and sonar capabilities of the 787 unit - I don't think that you will be disappointed. It uses the same display as the 797c2 Si unit does. It can also use the QuadraBeam transducer as well. The InterLink lists for $100 on the Cabela's site and you could connect both unit with both GPS receivers and choose which one to use on which unit. That way if the GPS receiver ever goes down you can still have GPS on both units.

The 777c2 unit runs about $500 and is the same as the 787c2 minus the GPS receiver, the GPS related buttons, maps and SD card slot but all else is the same.
    [email protected]
    I help because I can

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 787c2 up front connected by the Interlink (just came in today!) to my 997si. I had to meet a budget, I wanted the 917c Combo but I would not have been able to get the Interlink. So I settled on the 787c2.

I just Google'd the 787c2, you should be able to get a unit for around $470 and up. Just watch out for what comes with the lower price units. You should be able to grab the Interlink and stay within your budget.

Good luck!

Forgot to say.. Do as Greg stated above and get the GPS unit. I am going to run both GPS units. I am mounting a GPS puck up front over the Trolling Motor and the 997 GPS puck is over the stern transducer. This way I can find and mark structure with the 997. When I move up front, I can see the waypoint on the 787 and move into position. Also, when I am up front I can mark new structure and relay back to the 997. Some times I operate my Trolling Motor via remote from the cockpit. (Cold windy days! or to stay in the shade)
    Last edited by Sabot; 09-10-2007 at 11:21 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I would get the 787c2i with an internal antenna! You can buy this unit minus the transducer at a cheaper price since you will have us2.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Greg and all. Go with a 787c2 you'll love it. Add the Interlink to synch everything and you've got a sweet setup.
    Eddie@Hummibird