Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Kentucky rig...

Post Thanks / Like

Question Kentucky rig...

..looked in articles and did search for how to tie ky rig no luck...was wondering if someone could help me out on this...Here's how I did ;worked OK but tangled easy....on main line tied 2 double overhand knots starting 18" from end of line 18" apart, which left 2 6" long loops ;that I would run thru eye of hook or jig and just loop under similar to palomar to attach....then tied weight to end of line to bump bottom...any ideas how to tie without double line going to lures/hook???? what knots do y'all use???tried palomar knots to tie lures/hooks straight to line like drop-shot; but not enough freedom for minnow to swim around in my opinion---didn't catch anything with this set-up....HELP, please...Thanks in advance Karl
    Tighten er down till ya strip it--then back off 1/4 turn..
    HEY,,Y'all watch THIS..........

Post Thanks / Like

Karl, as you know, I'm new to all this & we may be talking about 2 different things, but I have a crappie video that shows how to tie something similar. It's a Sam Heaton DVD I got at BPS. He said to use 20 lb test. Tie a sinker at the end of the line. Go up 18 inches & pull out a dropper loop. Tie a figure 8 knot to make this loop. Then, tie 2 or three overhand knots, depending on the length of the loop, spaced a few inches apart to hold the loop together. Then, tie on the hook, as you said. Put the end of the loop thru the eye, but the hook thru the loop & pull it up around the eye. I think it's called a "Lark's Head" (or something like that) knot. Then go up the main line another 18 inches & do the same thing again to make the second loop for the second hook.

I have a book of knots, & I'll look tonight for a single strand dropper.

Tugaloo

Post Thanks / Like

Here is an easy method I had stored on my computer. DOn't remember where I got it.

The easiest way to make a kentucky rig is to buy the dropper lines at your local tackle supplier. These are commonly called snelled hooks that have a line/leader attached to the hook with a loop on the end. Simply slide the main line through the loop of the snelled hook and run it up about 4-5 ft. and tie an overhand knot twice to prevent the snell from slipping. Repeat this for the second snelled hook. I would tie the second snelled hook 12" below the hook of the first snelled hook. Now tie the 3/4 oz. sinker 12-16in. below the bottom hook.
    If you want to make your own snells it is a little more difficult. Take a length of line and tie a surgeons end loop at one end. Tie your #2 crappie hook on at the opposite end with an improved clinch knot. This is your dropper line. I recommend it to be 8-12" long. Slide your main line through the surgeons end loop and secure it with two overhand knots. I usually tie the sinker on the bottom with an improved clinch knot also.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't even use droppers on my kentucky rig. Just tie on a bell sinker on the bottom then come up about 12 to 18 inches and tie a hook on the main line using a palomar knot then I go above that about another 12 to 18 inches depending on how the fish are stacked on my graph. The hooks stand staight out from the line. No tangles. Easier to get unhung because your not having to deal with droppers. I also use charlie brewer crappie slider jigs. The heads are made where the line tie is sitting horizontal and when you tie one of these on, it will make the bait stand staight out horizontal giving the bait a more natural appearance. I use this rig this time of year for slowly moving and bouncing bottom. I mostly use minnows this time of year but in the summer I will use the plastics more and fish brushpiles that time of the year. With the charlie brewer jigs rigged weedless, this rig is killer for fishing brushpiles. Good Luck. CF
    The Original Woodsgoat Hater
    2011 NWR Bash Yellow Perch Champion

Post Thanks / Like

I use the same rig but i put the jigs on first then tie the overhand knots with the jig, and the main thing to do to keep it from tangling is to use 1 to 21/2 inch droppers then they will never tangle. This is my favorit rig.
    To land one of my crappie i need a gaff and a .22 pistal :D

Post Thanks / Like

Default Bottom bumper rig

All the suggestions in this thread work well, but with aging eyes and fingers I usually opt these days for a packaged pre-tied setup often labeled "crappie rig". A 2'-3' piece of heavy mono has 2 dropper lines separated by beads and held off the main line by light wires. The top of the rig has a loop for attaching to your fishing line and the bottom has a metal clip for attaching a bell sinker. Two short snelled hooks are included for easy attatchment to the dropper lines. The packages usually have size 4 or 2 aberdeen hooks; I usually opt for size 2. With the beads and wires, the assembled rig looks a little clutzy, but the fish don't seem to mind. The rig is almost tangle free and the sinker clip makes it easy to adjust weight or to remove the weight before storing the rod.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Homeboys...

..thanks for the responses....that being said I was hoping some of Ky. and Tenn. guys would have responded since that region is where rig originated..the bite must be on in that area... :D ...looking mainly for self-tied rigs not store-bought...thank again for those that took the time to answer
    Tighten er down till ya strip it--then back off 1/4 turn..
    HEY,,Y'all watch THIS..........

bella is offline Moderator TX Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Try the arnold rigs from www.grizzlyjig.com . good luck

BIG LEO