Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Humminbird 565

Post Thanks / Like

Default Humminbird 565

Anyone have any problem with the 565 giving erratic readings in deep water when you speed up from idle a little. I've move all the wires away from the tach, the unit is on a battery by itself. It only seems to do it in water over 50 feet.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm no help, we don't have 50 ft of water here....

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Ritchie .....

Quote Originally Posted by ritchie
    Anyone have any problem with the 565 giving erratic readings in deep water when you speed up from idle a little. I've move all the wires away from the tach, the unit is on a battery by itself. It only seems to do it in water over 50 feet.
    Is your transducer mounted stationary ? Where it won't move
    If it is ... how long does it take for the unit to find the bottom depth and read correctly ??
    If it isn't ... the water pressure against the transducer may be forcing it to point "behind" you a little, and the unit is "reading" the missing return signal as "no bottom" ... so it tries to interpret "any" signal as bottom, but then recognizes that the signal isn't strong enough to be bottom, so you get all kinds of erroneous readings.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

I have it mounted with the three screws that are provided. It doesn't really ever loose bottom it just shows tons and tons of fish. I have mooved it deeper belonw the bottom of the boat and it still does the same thing. Does it need to be pointed alittle more foward maybe???

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Red face Not really familiar ....

Quote Originally Posted by ritchie
    I have it mounted with the three screws that are provided. It doesn't really ever loose bottom it just shows tons and tons of fish. I have mooved it deeper belonw the bottom of the boat and it still does the same thing. Does it need to be pointed alittle more foward maybe???
    with a bird 565 .... but, all the DF's I've ever used have said to point them at a slight angle towards the front end of the boat (for keeping contact with bottom contour while running the lake). Check on the H-bird website for a "how-to" or "manual" link. There may be something in there that would answer your question. You might also consider calling them, I'm sure they have a toll free phone number.
    If you don't get any more, or more suitable replies on this thread .... you might also consider sending a PM to "Humminbird Greg". He should be able to give your problem a look-see.

It just sounded like a problem I've experienced on my fishing buds boat. Transducer was not locking into the mount, and would read just fine at slow speeds .... but, after a few minutes of WOT --- no bottom reading, erroneous depths (390ft - 128ft - etc), or no depth reading at all. Bracket was a home-made deal, and transducer would not stay pinned in .... took some duct tape and fixed that puppy, taped it down snug !! Now it reads fine, whatever the speed.

You might also have the sensitivity turned up too high ... and it's reading its own signal as a echo. I'm just guessing, and trying to think of things that would cause your problem ... but not be a messed up board or electrical malfunction :D (I hate it when my boys have high dollar problems ... cause I hate it when I do )

.... luck2ya ... cp

Post Thanks / Like

CP, Ritchie pm'd me as you suggested. I could not get on the site all day yesterday or this morning until aout 30 minutes ago. I seem to have problems doing so about every 3rd time I try; so I recommend trying to get this or any other issues figured out through e-mail (as long as Johnson Outdoor's e-mail server doesn't go down!).

Ritchie, so you can always see the bottom even at high speeds?
    Try getting a deep water depth reading without the motor or any other electrical device running. If this is good than try it again but with the motor running and out of gear. The idea is to run the motor at an RPM where you have seen the issue before. Most of the time this will show motor noise interference if there is any. If that doesn't show a problem than it is most likely transducer mounting related. I would need some pictures of your boat hull and transducer mounting before suggesting anything other than what the manual already does.

Other troubleshooting tips on the Humminbird web site:
    http://www.humminbird.com/normal.asp?id=839
    Greg Walters at Humminbird
    [email protected]
    I help because I can

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Thanks Greg ....

I didn't even think of turbulance or electrical interference as possible culprits.

.... cp