Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: thermocline/turnover

Post Thanks / Like

Default thermocline/turnover

Do any of you pay real close attention to this?
    I'll read reports for lakes on the average depth that different species are caught,and start there.With lakes being different depths,it has to be different all over the lake.

Will it show up on your sonar/depth finder?
    Is it more important to check it just in the heat of summer!
    Do rivers with little current have a thermocline?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mduncan62
    I don't pay a whole lot of attention to it. I have caught fish in 12FT of water or less year around. Although on Truman, there's a couple nice deep water winter spots. Thanks to the spot Hog gave up, I can easily fill the freezer year around. My experience though in winter is if you can find water that's a few degrees warmer then the rest of the lake, you can catch them very shallow.
    i'm with ya duncan in the winter just a few degrees can be the difference between loading the boat or going home with nothing !
    Supreme Leader of the Missouri Crappie Militia.........

Post Thanks / Like

Default Thermocline

I'm a SCUBA diver and can tell you that thermcline depths do vary. Generally, the depths do not vary by more than a few feet. However, in very deep water, there can be additional thermoclines. Sensitive sonars can detect these.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PSM207
    I'm a SCUBA diver and can tell you that thermcline depths do vary. Generally, the depths do not vary by more than a few feet. However, in very deep water, there can be additional thermoclines. Sensitive sonars can detect these.
    We sure could use you on our next bed building project
    For a full line of fluid beds
    soft plastic, jig heads and more see us at

www.simplycrappie.com

http://stores.ebay.com/Simply-Crappie

Post Thanks / Like

I don't pay a whole lot of attention to it. I have caught fish in 12FT of water or less year around. Although on Truman, there's a couple nice deep water winter spots. Thanks to the spot Hog gave up, I can easily fill the freezer year around. My experience though in winter is if you can find water that's a few degrees warmer then the rest of the lake, you can catch them very shallow.
    Duncan that spot is invatation only you can't go without me.:D

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bugman
    We sure could use you on our next bed building project

Maybe we can work something out.

Post Thanks / Like

cook it will show up on my Lowrance very well, even with the water dropping at Truman through the dam you can find the Thermocline. Do I pay attention to it? you bet. When drifing for blue cat I'll start over the channel or deeper water to find where the thermocline is and try to keep above it on drifts. I know of some folks that catch hybrids below the thermocline on cut bait on high pressure days. As for changing depths on different parts of the lake I'll have to pay close attention to that, it probably also depends on some current and water color.

Post Thanks / Like

I need a guided tour to the other 2 spots this winter. I never go back to spots that you and Ed show me, unless you are with me. I don't want any bad blood.
    You know i was just joshin ya.You go where ever you gotta to catch-em.Those other two spots will get worn out this year cuase we are gonna tear-em up.:D

Post Thanks / Like

I need a guided tour to the other 2 spots this winter. I never go back to spots that you and Ed show me, unless you are with me. I don't want any bad blood.
    No bad blood here I would not take ya If I was worried about going back. Besides you still have to catch them when you go back.:D :D