Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: four stroke

Post Thanks / Like

Default four stroke

what are the pro and cons of the four stroke out board engine

Post Thanks / Like

have had my first 4 stroke for about 4 yrs now. 50hp yamaha. pros in my opinion seems to be better on fuel, and is quieter, no smoke. cons has oil filter like a car, so when you change the oil it tends to run down into the bottom of the motor case. Mine has a carb. and since there is no oil in the fuel gumming and varnishing has been somewhat of a problem. Not really much bad to say about the 4-stoke. hopw this may help

Post Thanks / Like

I love mine! I was leaning toward another two stroke when mine blowed, but I'm glad I went with a four stroke. Some lakes are going to four stroke only and the difference in gas milage is great. They are not as loud either. Not that a two stoke is loud, but they are much more quite. You don't have to buy two cycle oil either.

Cons.......I've heard the maintenance is higher, but it's too early to tell for me.

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Can't buy a small 2 stroker new anymore. I gota a Merc (yamaha) 60 Bigfoot. I really like it. Good on gas, quiet, but most of all it is BLACK. My favorite engine color. I like the shape of my cowling. Some of them look like Darth Vader heads.

Also got a 15hp Suzuki 4 stroke tiller for my Jon boat. Runs great. Wish the tiller handle wasn't so high. Arm gets tired at such an angle when running. Yep. It is black too.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

I donot think yamaha has ever made a MERC outboard? They did make Mariners way back. Did Yamaha and Mercury merge?

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappielimits
    I donot think yamaha has ever made a MERC outboard? They did make Mariners way back. Did Yamaha and Mercury merge?
    I wound not call it a merge. Let's say a love affair that ended in divorce. Yep. Lot of my engine stuff is made by Yamaha. That where Merc got its 4 stroke technology. MY motor is Yamaha with Merc electronics. Well, that what the dealer told me. Side by side they sure look the same.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

Not an "expert", but this is what they say,,, 4 stroke is heavier than 2 stroke; hole shot not as good with 4 stroke; have to change oil and filter with 4 stroke; no "oil sheen" left on the water. The 2 stroke uses an oil mix that may be construed as being dirtier. Things that seem to be the same are 1)fuel economy virtually identical; noise virtually identical. The 2 strokes have made a lot of advances with the Merc Optimax and Johnson/Evinrude E-Tec. Rumor was that the tune-up cost for a 4 stroke was high, but I would check with a local dealer before making that assumption. Now if you aren't more confused than before you have it figured out.
    Then you can tell the rest of us which is best....lol.

Post Thanks / Like

There's one thing I haven't seen discussed. 2 strokes will burn through a batch of bad gas better than 4 strokes. If you get a tank of gas with some water in it (a problem from time to time in some marinas), a 2 stroke will burn right through it with no problems. It will shut a 4 stroke down and you'll be headed to the shop. If you get a 4 stroke, put a separator filter on it, or be sure to get gas where they have filters on the pumps to catch water.
    Jim - Have boat - will travel.

Post Thanks / Like

i would never waste money on a 4 stroke, maybe in 10 years if technolody gets better

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 40hp Yamaha 4s. It is in the shop right now getting a carb job cause water got in the gas tank . Part of it is being an alumnum tank, which I changed to a hard plastic.
    When I got this boat last Jan it had been setting up and I learned a lesson on 4s carbs.

They are very quiet, no smoke, great on gas, but hole shot on my tunnel hull sucks.

My biggest complaint is the hole shot, and I am debating trying a 4 blade prop or trading in for a 50hp 2s.

If you get a 4s be diligent on making sure the gas does not get contaminated and I think you will have no problems, plus don't let it sit up without running it.
    Last edited by CrappiePappy; 09-01-2007 at 02:03 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast