Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Anyone planning to spider rig at crappie camp?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Anyone planning to spider rig at crappie camp?

Got new rod holders all over my little boat but have yet to do any spider rigging. Was ready to order 4 B&M 12' Pro Staff Trollers but Grizzley Jig was out of them... Then my on board charger went out. ($$). Got 3 mismatched 10' jig poles I can press into service for trolling. I could sure use some tips (and a chance to watch someone who knows what they're doing).

Post Thanks / Like

I didnt know it was called spider riging but till I traded boats I fished 6 to 8 rods out the front of the boat and catch the heck out of crappie we just called it slow trowling from what I have seen of Truman Lake there are lots of trees all over the place could make it a little more tricky. see you at camp

Post Thanks / Like

You know beagle, I've been doing what I call "dragging" for a while with some good success. Since I dip alot of trees, I'll frequently have on an 1/8 oz weedless jig. When I go from spot to spot, I'll just keep the jig in the water and drag it. Not nearly as wide a swath as slow trolling/spider rigging, but it's the same principle. What I find is that I'll feel my jig coming up over a tree, and when it pops loose I'll often catch one. As often as not it's a 12"+ female - a big old goodun'. It can be done, but with all the submerged timber, I'd recommend something weedless. Marvin Deckard has said that he often loses the crappie for a couple weeks in mid September, and my suspicion is that they move out and suspend a little deeper. If that's the case, trolling might be the ticket. Mike's bringing Gobbler II, just to cover that contingency.
    Jim - Have boat - will travel.

Post Thanks / Like

hey jim when are we going to see some pic's of the gobbler,,,,fuzz
    IT'S 5--O-CLOCK SOMEWHERE,,,MIKE-p

PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

The Gobbler is Mr. Baker's rig. I haven't seen it either, but I hear it's set up really nice. I fish out of a 17 year old Fisher 18 footer with a Yamahammer 115. I think that both our boats will be at camp so everybody can check them out while we drink beer, cuss and discuss fishin' and try to find the hidden pies.
    Jim - Have boat - will travel.

Post Thanks / Like

Cuzz and i will have our rigs there in case they're out over deeper water or scattered.....i've got alot to learn myself but i'll be happy to share what i know.
    For a full line of fluid beds
    soft plastic, jig heads and more see us at

www.simplycrappie.com

http://stores.ebay.com/Simply-Crappie

Post Thanks / Like

I will have my 14'ers with me just in case.

Speck is offline MO/MS Moderator and Fishing Legend * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Same here. I'll have my 16's 14's and 12's in case there scattered.

Crazy Angler Pro Staff
    Crappie Logic Pro Staff