Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Grenada again this Sunday

David Waters is offline Moderator Shoals Area Crappie Association Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Grenada again this Sunday

well, it looks like my buddies and I are going to head to Grenada again this Sunday. Leave real early and come home late. We are pre fishing the Crappie USA tournament in late March. Trying to get to know the lake a little better. 2 weeks ago it was high and a little muddy, Sunday should be muddy and lower. We caught only 2 fish last trip, but they were good ones. Both 15" fish around 2 pounds or more I suppose.

What I feel we do best is tightline and troll. But what we are going to do Sunday is verticle jig. We aren't even going to take our long poles just to make sure we do this the right way. We are making ourselves fish this way because it may be the best way to fish this lake in Springtime. There are three of us going in one boat and we are going to stay on the edge of the drops in the standing timbre/stick ups in the lake. We are going to drop a jig around every stump and stickup we see. Both of the fish we caught last time were right on the wood in 12-13" of water. I caught one tightlining on a minnow and the other was caught on a cork and minnow fishing 4" deep in 13" of water. A local guy came buy us jigging and with the muddy water who caught a few more than we did, sowe figured if we want to do well there, we need learn to fish this way.

I looked back at a lot of the tournamnets from the past 5 years on Grenada. When the tournaments were in the Spring, most winning stringers were caught verticle jigging. The Fall tournaments were won trolling or tightlining. We are good at tightlining and trolling, so we plan to figure out this jigging stuff.

The local guy was dropping a tube jig tipped witha crappie niblet. That is what we plan to start with.
    Shoals Area Crappie Association

Post Thanks / Like

Grenada, as I am sure you have figured out, is very shallow for the most part. The key is creek channels. On the edges of these channels are stumps and some remaining standing timber, some you can see and some you can't. If you can find a good line of them in a creek that you build confidence in, you can move from one to the next all day. This is something I do in MS reservoirs in March, I am sure there are other tactics equal or better, but if you need to come up with 10 keepers to weigh, this will probably help you get it done.