Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Rod Tip Size

Post Thanks / Like

Default Rod Tip Size

Does anyone know how a rod tip size is determined.I saw each tip has a tube size which fits over the rod tip and a ring size for the line to pass through. I broke two rod tips and I am not sure on what size to order.

frank lawhead is offline RIP Frank - Crystal is now posting on his behalf.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Rod tips

there is a tool that they measure them with ---you,d have to get one from a material supplier--had one a long time ago I got from a rod builders catalog
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

They are metric sizes. 8mm, 6mm, etc. for the rod tip. I would go to wally world and buy the kit that has several tips and the hot melt glue all in a blister pack. They are not that costly, about $6.

Post Thanks / Like

Default tip sizes

I believe tips are measured in thousands of an inch, example: .062 which is 62 thousands, is 1/16 of an inch. a micrometer or dial caliper is what you need to get your correct size. your rod tip may not measure the "exact" size as the tip listed but you need to have a little room for the hot melt glue. tip sizes go smaller and larger than this chart. If I need correcting please do so. here is a link giving some tip sizes.

http://www.jannsnetcraft.com/amtak-tip-tops/273457.aspx

BTW willis, one millimeter is .039, and 1/32 inch is .032, 6 mm is .243, almost 1/4 inch which is .250 (hope this don't seem greek)
    Last edited by dmann436; 08-20-2007 at 06:52 PM.

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Len
    Does anyone know how a rod tip size is determined.I saw each tip has a tube size which fits over the rod tip and a ring size for the line to pass through. I broke two rod tips and I am not sure on what size to order.
    If they are BnM poles, call and cry. They will send free tips. Don't forget the crying part. Be humble. Works for me.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

Len; Rod tips are measured in 64's of an inch for the tube diameter. If you or a friend can read a dail Caliper you can get real close with these. Do you have a custom rod / repair shop in your area? He can fit you on the spot.
    "Never Fry Bacon Naked"