Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: iv'e decided on trolling motor, need advice

Post Thanks / Like

Default iv'e decided on trolling motor, need advice

decided to go with the minn kota v-2 powerdrive without the autopilot. just don't think i'll use it that much. having a tough time choosing a 40# or a 50#. here's the thing, when my dad bought the boat new in 87 it came with a johnson 36# trolling motor. we absolutely loved it. lot's of power and did just fine. well it shot craps finally in 2000 beyond repair so had to buy a new one. they did'nt make johnson's so went with a minn kota all terrain 36#. we noticed right off the bat that it did'nt have as much power as our johnson did, figured it would being's it was the same thrust. well i don't wan't a 50# to be to much. i realize 40# should be plenty for my 15' aluminum with 9.9 motor. did'nt no with the newer style trolling motors out now if it would matter. not sure either if the 2000 all terrain model was just a bad model or what. if i got the 40# it's only 4# difference but thought maybe it would be a much better trolling motor and get the job done just fine with the new advanced technology that's been added on the trolling motor's. any advice or input would be greatly appreciated. also gonna buy a new battery when i get the motor. iv'e always just used a deep cycle everstart from walmart but willing to spend more money if it's worth it. any advice on a brand of battery that would be better. thanx and good fish'n

jeff the crappieslayer
    why do today what you can put off til tomorrow, go fishing instead!!!

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Just because you have 50 lbs of thrust don't mean you have to use it. But if you ever do need it to get out of a jamb, its there.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by IBNFSHN
    Just because you have 50 lbs of thrust don't mean you have to use it. But if you ever do need it to get out of a jamb, its there.
    i do understand that, but, i just don't want to have it on 1 and it still be too much. i mainly fish constantly moving, on the rare day that i do have calm waters, did'nt want to have it on 1 and it still be overbearing and too much. that's my main problem. i definately would rather have the power there and not have to use it that much. if i only needed to use 1 or 2 speed most all the time that's fine just don't want my boat planing on 1 just have'nt had many opportunities to fish in many different size boats, and be able to see the difference in trolling motors.

Post Thanks / Like

The V2 has infinite speed control. ON 0 it will make you wonder if it's on. This kind of control is a lot better than a 5 speed, and perfect for trolling or just easing along casting at visible structure. It can be set to move the boat slooooowly.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by willsjwills
    The V2 has infinite speed control. ON 0 it will make you wonder if it's on. This kind of control is a lot better than a 5 speed, and perfect for trolling or just easing along casting at visible structure. It can be set to move the boat slooooowly.
    thanx a bunch, i'm an idiot. did'nt understand what people were trying to tell me explaining the speed. but i understand now. gonna go with the 50#. thanx for your help. good fish'n