Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How many and how long?

Post Thanks / Like

Wink How many and how long?

So I was out on a local lake with my son Saturday morning. It’s an army corps of engineers flood control lake which means no cottages, nice natural setting, first time on the lake. Local legend says that there are no fish because the water is too alkaline from run off from an upstream mine of some sort. Never have heard of any mining, the river water is beautiful emerald green color as you drive by way up on the interstate highway.

We gave up on the bridge pilings with only two 7 inch bream, headed back across the open lake for the river to the launch site. In the open lake in 14 feet smooth bottom I see a log with a corps marker buoy on it so the ski boats won’t run over it if the water level is raised a bit. We coast into it (literally) and my son drops his hook with slip shot and remains of a night crawler over the edge of the boat.

Next I see his rod tip bent up under the boat and I’m sure he snagged a limb but he ‘gets it free’ and pulls in a 12 inch crappie! His first ever keeper! (third fishing trip) Drop anchor! Switched to jig and nibbles, tube and nibbles. Boated 13 – all keepers from 10 to 14 inch. Had to head for home at 1:30, not that we were done.

Early Sunday morning I return to the same log, boated 7 more keepers (pictures taken awaiting downloading). Seemed more like harvesting than fishing!

Question is do you think we caught them all or did something change that made them quit biting? And how long before that log has time to ‘reload’ and we could do that again? We took 20 fish off there in under 24 hours. Once they stopped about 9:00 Sunday morning, I fished all over and never got another bite.

Yep – there’s just no fish in that lake! Shhhhh.

NIMROD is online now Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Lot's Of Variables On How Fast They Are Replaced. Sometimes Fish Move Very Little. Some Lakes With Low Populations Or Heavy Fishing Pressure It Can Be Hours , Days, Or Even Weeks Before A Large Number Replaces Them. Here We Can Catch Several One Day ,three Or Four The Next , One Or Two The Next, And Them Maybe A Week Or More Before They Are Back. But In Spring When They Are On The Move It's The Fastest. During Hot Weather It Can Be A Long Time.
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with a lot Nirod has said. I have been in situations where it was possible to track the flow of schools of crappie running up and down a section of river. When I lived near Houston Tx, below the dam was a popular crappie spot. Sometimes there were literaly hundreds of fishermen lined up casting jigs in unison while we were standing in thigh deep water. People would start catching them on one end of the line and you could watch as the fish moved from one end of the line to the other. So, the spot you were in was repopulated in less than an hour. When the spawn was over, there were just a few spots where one or two fishermen could catch them though.
    DP
    I am a heterosexual male. 2 Chronicles 7:14
    "If my people who are called by My name will humble themselves and pray and seek My face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from Heaven and will forgive their sin and heal their land."

Post Thanks / Like

Got some pics but can't seem to get them into the post rather than as a separate attachment.

Post Thanks / Like

Can't seem to get them in the post the way I wanted to. Perhaps someone has a hint for me?

Post Thanks / Like

Register at Photobucket.com, then upload the pics, them post the IMG address under the pic.

Post Thanks / Like

go back to that log and use your bottom machine to take a look around it. Might be some other areas just like that BELOW the surface in the general area...THAT'S WHERE THE HAWGS WILL BE!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

If there is not much cover in the area, then they may replenish pretty quick. It may also be a seasonal spot, so mark it on a calender or put it in a journal. CF
    The Original Woodsgoat Hater
    2011 NWR Bash Yellow Perch Champion

Post Thanks / Like

DUH! Thanks for pointing out what should be the obvious Rick! Sometimes ya gotta just slap me!

The hot spot did produce 9 keepers a week later but they weren’t as big as the first weekend.
    I’ve tried every other object that sticks out of the water but haven’t found anything productive. I think it’s because they are all in the six feet deep range.
    At 14 feet deep – how much bottom am I looking at with my Piranha 215? 3 to 4 feet diameter maybe?
    We always head straight to “the spot” and I haven’t really searched too much for similar sunken trees but being a flood control lake and plenty of trees in the water along the wooded edges, there is a good chance there are more lurking below the surface.
    I’ve seen years when they raise the water level as much as 30 feet and everything on the hillsides floats in. The problem is that everything gets buried in mud in a short time and there are no weed beds in the lake.

Post Thanks / Like

yea, for most depth finders I think it's 3 feet cone at 10 feet depth. So 20 feet deep would be a 6 foot cone or 5 feet depth would be about 1.5 foot cone. I THINK.

I just keep mine on anytime I'm going slow and get used to reading it. I turn OFF fish ID. And from there, it's pretty easy. I do have my ducer hooked to the Trolling Motor as well as a separate set up for the rear of the boat. The best thing to do to get used to reading it is run a heavy jig down under your TD and bounce it around. It'll show up. Lead reflects the soundwaves great. Anyway just play around with it and you'll figure it out.
    Last edited by sac-a-lait; 07-20-2007 at 01:48 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast