Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: my crappie rod and reel?

Aaron1 Guest

Default my crappie rod and reel?

i dont do a whole lot of crappie fishing and was gonna get into it. right now im gonna use a 7' ultra light ugly stick and a wally marshall pro series spinning reel with mr. crappie 4lb line. the line is kind of weird its green and red it come on a spool of like over 3000yards. gonna use it to cast jigs and minnows. tell me wat u guys think?

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds good to me. Dont know about the Mr. Crappie camo line, but their hi-vis is awesome. I use the 6 lb.,though.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Aaron ...

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron1
    i dont do a whole lot of crappie fishing and was gonna get into it. right now im gonna use a 7' ultra light ugly stick and a wally marshall pro series spinning reel with mr. crappie 4lb line. the line is kind of weird its green and red it come on a spool of like over 3000yards. gonna use it to cast jigs and minnows. tell me wat u guys think?

Sounds like a plan ! Equipment is fine, and should allow you to get started getting after them.
    WM Camo line .... I've only come in contact with this line, once. It was on a new WM spinning reel, that was for sale at my local bait shop. I found it to be a bit on the "wirey" side, a bit stiff and subject to kinks and bends that wouldn't straighten out ... even when stretched. I do have a spool of the Mr Crappie hi-vis 4lb test ... and it seems to be quite strong for 4lb test, and much more pliable than the "camo" line.
    For casting purposes, you might consider using a softer (more limp) line ... and use the WM Camo for tightline/trolling/vertical jigging purposes, or any method that doesn't require casting.
    If you don't want a hi-vis (colored) line, for whatever reason, here's some suggestions for decent quality mono :
    BPS Excel ... good line, reasonable price
    Trilene XL ... good, soft line
    Stren Original ... good line, slightly more abrasion resistant - but, also a little more stiff

These are, of course, just "my" opinions ... and therefore subject to differing opinions of others. Can't comment on the rod/reel ... never used either one. Never used Mr Crappie Camo line, either ... but, after the "feel test", I was not impressed enough to warrant giving it a try. That was several years ago, and the line may be different now, I don't know.

Welcome to Crappie.com .... hope you enjoy being a member.

.... luck2ya ... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome aboard Aaron1. Sounds like you're off to a good start anyway.

Post Thanks / Like

i just recently started using the WM camo and hi vis in 6# and i mostly cast jigs - haven't had any trouble at all with the stuff. I used to use silverthread exclusively until i gave the WM stuff a try , but like pappy said opinions vary so my best advise is for you to be the judge and use what works best for you. I'm not a fan of ugly stick and have never used a WM reel , but there again , different strokes for different folks.
    I don't go Fishing...I go CATCHING!

http://s172.photobucket.com/albums/w36/Badi2de/

Post Thanks / Like

I only use BnM rods and have been using them for years, they have a rod for any style crappie fishing you do. I also only use WM cammo line, have never had a problem with it. But i do spray all my line down with reel magic before during and after fishing.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I only use Ugly Sticks.

old ship
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.