Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Skip, This is How my Boat Electronics work (kinda).....

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Skip, This is How my Boat Electronics work (kinda).....

Anyone can set this up. It is not complicated.

How it works:

First, the computer is a Motion Computing LE1600 Tablet with a view anywhere screen. I have a GPS mapping program installed called Oziexplorer. Second, the maps are side scan image maps from Ky Hydrographics. I can load and view any section of KY Lake in my area. The side scan gives excellent underwater details. I can preview the maps, then mark waypoints or create tracks of stuff I want to “visit”. I then drive up to the stuff using the moving map feature of Oziexplorer (and watch my SONAR). This stuff works like any GPS with map features. A bunch of people use Ky Hydrographics Maps. It is the way to go if you do not hire a guide. Anybody who wants a guide can call my pal Richard Williams. He knows the lake a lot better than I.

The tablet PC receives NEMA data from either the Garmin GPS276C or the Garmin GPS10, depending on what I am doing. It is just a click of a button (touch screen) to change settings. The Pocket PC can also receive NEMA data from the GPS’s. It runs a Program called Ozie CE.

The big advantage is the “big screen view” and the detailed mapping software. I have Garmin Fishing Hotspots. It is not near the program as KY Hydrographics for this area of Ky Lake. I use both programs ( KY Hydro and Fishing Hot Spots) and I can use both on my PC. Again, it depends on my “goals” for the day. Sometimes my plans work out, sometimes they don’t. This stuff just improves my guess work. These programs/features allow me to change tactics while “at sea”. If you got through the trouble of getting out on the water, then why not give yourself every chance possible. The option door is wide open.

I can make maps with Oziexplorer. If I have a printed map with 2 known waypoints, I can make an pretty accurate map. I can take 997 records, print the recorded view, scan this with my flatbed scanner, then import the scanned area to Oziexplorer and make a map if I want. Nice tool to have in your pocket.

I would like to thank the following for their input on this setup.

Pat Hahs www.kentuckyhydrografx.com/

Des Newman www.oziexplorer.com/

J.M. www.trimble.com

By the way, Trimble makes a GPS that gets to within sub foot range (less than a foot).

My toys are/were gifts. I got friends in high places. I think we call him God.

Tom
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Don G is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I am one of the lucky ones....I will see this setup in person in the not too distant future....

Tom, you will have a job trying to get Frank & me to understand this stuff..

Where's the cooler?...
    USS Intrepid CVS-11 Helicopter Squadron-3 1960-1964

When I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations I have a good day

frank lawhead is offline RIP Frank - Crystal is now posting on his behalf.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DonG
    I am one of the lucky ones....I will see this setup in person in the not too distant future....

Tom, you will have a job trying to get Frank & me to understand this stuff..

Where's the cooler?...
    Don that won,t be any problem for me two or three barley pops and I know just about everything :rolleyes:
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

That sound awesome Tom. I just have never seen a screen that big on a fishing boat before. Nice job for sure!

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

What did he say??
    Tom I think you need to start up the Guide service. So we can book a trip to learn how to use all of ours toys.
    Pete