Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Crappie Problems

Post Thanks / Like

Default Crappie Problems

So, I recently found out on a local lake that rain is a major factor. It will be great and then after a good rain it totally murks up the water and the fish totally shut off. How should I be trying to target these fish in the murky water conditions? thanks

Post Thanks / Like

That could present some tough fishing. Maybe try some kind of spinner that might create some vibration.

Post Thanks / Like

FishermanJay - Just type in "Fishing muddy water for crappie" on Google. I tried this and numerous good articles came up you can read.
    Ken

Post Thanks / Like

Sure wish we had that problem around here right now. We are nearly 10 inches below normal for rainfall. Lake hasn't even reached summer pool.

I agree with using something that adds some flash. I've heard that muddy rising water can cause fish to scatter so you might try just covering more water.

Post Thanks / Like

At minimum, you'll want to use lighter, brighter, more visible color jigs, and adding a Lindy spinner (the safety-pin style jig spinners like found on a beetle-spin) can help too.

Post Thanks / Like

An old timer told me this:
    A good rule of thumb is clear water a lifelike bait works well, in stained or murky water you need something to enhance the visibility or vibration such as using a really bright color or adding a spinner blade.

Seems like good sound advice to me.

chaunc is offline 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I was told to use a darker color and bigger body type. Or even go to a bigger minnow. Makes it easier for them to spot in murky water. Vibration from blades is good too.

Post Thanks / Like

I used a small rattling firetiger crankbait and slayed them yesterday. Thanks for tha advice!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

congrats! IMHO, this website is the single best resource for crappie fishing you'll find.