Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: New to the Crappie World...

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up New to the Crappie World...

Howdy All! I am looking to get into crappie and panfish fishin. My buddy Chip can't get enough Striper fishing up on Smith Lake and I just can't get into driving for two hours sitting in the middle of the lake for hours on end and maybe...Maybe catchin one fish. I want to go out for a few hours, pull in a mess of fish and bring those puppies back home to momma to fry up for dinner! Something to show for the day you know? I am not much of a fisherman yet but I have twin boys almost a year old now so I better get started learnin so I can show them the ropes when they are old enough. So, I am here in Birmingham Alabama and am looking for tips on Crappie and Panfishing.

1. What type of jig works well?
    2. How do you work or "dance" the jig (slow pull quick retrieve/jerking action)?
    3. I have an spinning combo with a 5.5 light action rod and small quantum reel with 4lb Stren line...sound good?
    4. Anyone fished Lake Purdy or Oak Mountain Lake before?

Really, any tips for a beginner will be greatly apprecieated. Really.

Thanks so much and I Hope to tell you how much your tips have improved my fishing reel soon!!!!

Later fellas.
    Alan Cecil
    Birmingham Alabama

Post Thanks / Like

Attachment 11452 From Toledo Bend Texas!

On Jigs...I make feather jigs as well as several type hair jigs and some with synthetic tails, but I like feather jigs best over all. I have soft plastics in my boat, tubes, solid tubes, Beaver tails, Crappie Thunder, Etc. All of them....I still like feather jigs best and it has been that way since the 70's when I started fishing jigs for crappie.

Move it slow and easy, not jerking! Maybe move you rod tip a couple of feet and let it swing back under your tip. Maybe lift it a little, couple of feet and let it fall slow and controlled. Wait for the thump!

If you get a chance check out my web page as I have a how to page that will give you more info. Also lots of pics of jigs to pick and choose from. Let me know if I can help.
    Last edited by skiptomylu; 12-17-2008 at 11:25 AM.

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb C69 ....

Quote Originally Posted by cereal69
    Howdy All! I am looking to get into crappie and panfish fishin. My buddy Chip can't get enough Striper fishing up on Smith Lake and I just can't get into driving for two hours sitting in the middle of the lake for hours on end and maybe...Maybe catchin one fish. I want to go out for a few hours, pull in a mess of fish and bring those puppies back home to momma to fry up for dinner! Something to show for the day you know? I am not much of a fisherman yet but I have twin boys almost a year old now so I better get started learnin so I can show them the ropes when they are old enough. So, I am here in Birmingham Alabama and am looking for tips on Crappie and Panfishing.
    2. How do you work or "dance" the jig (slow pull quick retrieve/jerking action)?
    3. I have an spinning combo with a 5.5 light action rod and small quantum reel with 4lb Stren line...sound good?
    Thanks so much and I Hope to tell you how much your tips have improved my fishing reel soon!!!!
    Later fellas.
    First & foremost .... Welcome to Crappie.com !!

Now ... don't go into Crappie/panfish fishing, with the idea that you'll always "pull in a mess". It ain't always that easy. :p As for learning quickly enough to be able to mentor the twins ... you've got enough time, if you spend it wisely (reading the posts/articles & practicing them on your home waters)

OK - before you get overwhelmed by the other's answers -- here's my answers to your 4 questions :

1 - all of them
    2 - depends on method being used
    3 - sounds fine
    4 - nope

Seriously though ... start out with a sampling of jigs -- some marabou, some with plastic bodies, some RoadRunners or BeetleSpins. I'd suggest starting out with 1/16oz as the best all around weight for your Crappie jigs/lures. (you may have to go down to 1/32 or 1/64 for other "panfish") Your rod/reel should handle them very nicely.
    Extra action imparted to the jig -- not always necessary, but can/does work with some methods. Normally, a slow & steady retrieve will work more often than not ... especially when casting, Vertical Casting, & dock shooting. It more closely resembles a edible creature (that's totally oblivious to the approaching fish, and therefore a easy meal). The occasional slight "flick" or "twitch" of the rod - can be used to imitate an injured baitfish.
    There's nothing wrong with your current combo. In time, and according to your success rate, you may or may not want to expand your arsenal to include some longer outfits.

.... luck2ya ... cp

Post Thanks / Like

I *typically* find crappie deep in the Summer/Winter, and shallow(er) in the Spring/Fall. When fishing deeper, I try to get on top of the fish (boat/dock) and drop my line straight down. When doing this in the winter, I try not to impart any action/movement because the fish are lethargic (some anglers describe this by saying they have a "small strike zone;" in other words, they don't want to chase anything down). I ALWAYS use something with scent during these times (crappie nibbles, scented soft plastics, etc). You can also get on top of the fish by using a slip cork (a good thread about this is currently bouncing around near the top of the forum). In the Spring/Fall, I fish water 0-10ft, mostly by casting jigs. I like curly tail jigs, or marabou (feather) Roadrunners during these times because they impart more action. The noise/movement gets their attention, and in the Spring/Fall, they're not shy about chasing 'em down.
    Jeremiah 16:16a "But now I will send for many fishermen," declares the Lord, "and they will catch them."

Post Thanks / Like

i use 1/16 oz only and you can't have too many jig body's any kind all shades and my best is green and you can't go to slow sometime you almost need to keep it as still as you can but have fun

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cereal69

Later fellas.
    Welcome aboard!!!!
    Here's how I'd answer your questions based on what works for me...

1. I like BPS 1 1/2" "Squirmin Squirts" tubes - chartreuse seems to outfish other colors most of the time.
    2. We generally hang a rod over the side and let any boat motion give the jig it's action, while casting a second jig and using a slow, steady retrieve.
    3. That rig sounds good for casting light jigs, my son loves using his 4' uL spincasting outfit (especially when a Bass decides to take his jig). Like CP said, you'll probably want to eventually get a couple longer rods too. I like my long rod for hanging jigs straight down and for vertical jigging on submerged wood - lets you position your boat so it's not right on top of cover.
    4. Nope - I'm in Upstate NY.

Check on crappie.com main homepage - there are tons of articles to get you started.

Post Thanks / Like

O.K. I belive thay just opened a Bass Pro shop in AL. check it out and talk to the the people there, thay can help you get started with all the right stuff.

Post Thanks / Like

1. 1/16 tubes in spring and 1/8 ounce tubes and curly tails the rest of the year.
    2. Cast and retreive I use a steady slow retrieve, vertical jig I just jig it lol.
    3. Sounds good for casting. I would get some longer poles though for vertical jigging and trolling though.
    4. nope

Welcom to the board!

crappiekid24 is offline Moderator Ice Fishing Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with all of the above posts. Skip makes some great looking jigs so I would check them out. I like to use 1/32oz mostly but 1/64oz works better depending on the toughness of the bite. I like micro jigs mostly but will use a 1/16oz head with a tube or a curly tail. I like 1.5inch tube jigs squirmin squirts and southern pro tubes. 2 inch curly tails but 1 inch works good in tough bites. Roadrunners are a good search bait for crappie. I have just started to use my jigs and have been doing really well on them. I use a marabou jig in 1/32oz and 1/64oz. There are few different ways I fish crappie. I like to deadstick a minnow, use a slip bobber with a minnow or a jig around brush and timber, cast and retreve jigs slowly, and vertical jigging. I like to shake the rod tip when vertical jigging and lift and fall it maintaining contact with the jig. I use a 5.5ft light rod for casting and jigging jigs. I also use a 6'6" UL for slip bobbering. Hope this helps.