Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: for fish finder gurus

Post Thanks / Like

Default for fish finder gurus

I know all of you electronics fellows keep up with the latest on different models of fish finder specifications. I have a question for you on the Eagle Fishmark 320 and 480.

Question: What is the Skimmer transducer? I know what a 20degree transducer is, but I don't know what a transducer is that can read at 60 degrees by adjusting sensitivity is. Does this mean the machine has an adjustable cone angle?

I plan to buy the 480, but I need some help defining the type of transducer to get with it. It can be had with the 20 degree and the "Skimmer" transducers. I would appreaciate some help here. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

A skimmer is one you mount to the transom or maybe to the trolling motor, where I have one, and the pod is for mounting as a shoot through the hull say in your sump well. At least as I see it. I believe you want the 20 degree one for fresh water.

http://www.eaglegps.com/Products/Accessories/search.asp

http://www.lowrance.com/support/Tips...utorial_01.asp
    Last edited by SteveJ; 05-31-2007 at 07:17 PM.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Southern Sickle Jigs Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Default Skimmer transducer

Hey John go for the 60 it gives you a wider shot of the bottom. I think the Skimmer transducer goes on the back of your boat but not sure.

If I can remember right in nine foot of water a 20 is only showing a 3' cone
    and a 60 is showing a 9' cone.
    Let's go fishing.

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for the in-put, fellas. I ordered the one with the "Skimmer" transducer that is supposed to be a trolling motor mount. I guess I'll find out what I got when it gets here(it's backordered). Hope the 480 pixels gives me the resolution I need to help find fish close to cover. HAPPY FISHING, boys.

chaunc is offline 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

You're gonna love it. I've been using mine for two seasons now. I have the 320 on my trolling motor. They both show fish right on the brush. I also have a 320C color unit that i got for my trolling motor. I went back to my regular 320. Bigger and better picture. To me, color on a unit with a screen that small is over-rated.

Post Thanks / Like

You'll be fine. The skimmer transducer is their sleek transducer than can go on the TM or mounted outside on the hull. I run skimmers in both places. Like a fancy European sports car that lets the water run smoothly past without creating turbulence to mess up your signal. You'll probably need a little adapter bracket to fit on the TM though.

On the cone angle deal, the skimmers are 20 degrees period. Not an adjustable cone angle. What they are referring to by mentioning 60 degrees is that with sensitivity cranked up, you can pick up (or more like "show") fainter signals on the outside edges of the normal cone which would be in the 60 degree range. It's really just a function of measurement and technicality.

I posted a couple pics from my Eagle and Lowrance units on the main thread here under some "crappie graphing" title or such. Mine are out on page 3 I believe. Check them out if you want to get an idea of what crappie and brushpiles will look like on your unit.

-T9