Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: No more portable house liscences in MN

Post Thanks / Like

Default No more portable house liscences in MN

Fee dropped for portable fishing shelters
    Doug Smith,star tribune

Minnesota's ice anglers won't have to license their portable fishing shelters any more -- unless they plan on leaving them on the ice overnight.

That's the result of a new law passed by the 2007 Legislature. Owners of about 60,000 portable shelters will be affected. Few portable shelters are left on the ice overnight.

Ice fishing shacks left overnight, which obviously would include most of the state's 90,000 permanent shelters, still must be licensed.

"The Legislature decided we shouldn't be licensing portables anymore," said Bob Meier, assistant commissioner in charge of government relations for the Department of Natural Resources. "They wanted to give people with portable shelters a break."

That saves anglers with portable she! lters $11.50 a year but would cost the DNR about $768,000 in lost revenue. So the Legislature increased nonresident fishing license fees to offset that loss.

The cost of nonresident individual fishing license, now $34, will increase to $37.50 next year. The increase is expected to raise about $680,000 yearly.

Nonresident anglers took another hit: A $2 surcharge for aquatic invasive species management also is being added to all nonresident fishing licenses.

With the usual $1 issuing fee, that means a nonresident individual will pay $40.50 for a Minnesota fishing license. The state sells about 266,000 nonresident fishing licenses yearly.

Minnesota residents pay a $5 invasive species surcharge every three years with their boat registration fees.

Post Thanks / Like

This is a good thing. We have a hot shot rookie officer in my area and he actually FINED a person that sitting in there Ford Escape watch there tipups because there vehical was considered a shelter and they didn't have a shelter liscense on the Escape!!!!!! This is what also kept me from purchasing on they goes on the rear rack of my ATV.

Post Thanks / Like

I here ya RancherLee!