Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: re-wiring boat trailer

David Waters is offline Moderator Shoals Area Crappie Association Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default re-wiring boat trailer

well, I am about to dig into a project I am not to excited about. Problem is, I am under time constraints. I have Sunday afternoon and Mnday to work this out with all the kinks gone. I have a long trip to North Florida pulling my boat.

I have a 1989 stratos with original boat trailer. The wiring is original and not in the greatest of shape. I plan to use the existing wires to pull the new wire through. Only one light is being replaced.

Does anyone have any do's or don'ts you can help me with before I start? I am sitting here wondering how the sid elights on the trailer are wired or spliced into the lead wire.

Anyway, thanks in advance.
    Shoals Area Crappie Association

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Side lights are spliced into the tail light wire.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Solder your connections if you know how. Get to bare metal and use new screws on all ground connections. Use liquid electrical tape to seal all bare wires. Use heat shrink tubing to cover the liquid electrical tape seals. Make sure you have spare truck fuses in case something doesn't work right when you plug it in.:rolleyes: Lots of cable ties and grommets to keep the wire from rubbing where it passes through the frame. If you come across a light that's iffy, just change it. Have a meter available for troubleshooting, and beer or harder stuff (if you partake) in case the meter doesn't help.:p

Post Thanks / Like

a lot of side lights are difficult to get a good ground. CAT was right about getting to clean metal for a good ground. One word of caution, though. Drink the beer after everything works. Less stressful that way. good luck.