Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Dock Shooting Rods....?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Dock Shooting Rods....?

What makes the best dock shooting rod? I have never done this but want to give it a try this year. Do you want a short whippy (Ugly Stick) type rod, or do you want a short, stiff graphite type rod?

Mr.Crappie is offline Trophy King II * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Indy-Travis
    What makes the best dock shooting rod? I have never done this but want to give it a try this year. Do you want a short whippy (Ugly Stick) type rod, or do you want a short, stiff graphite type rod?
    Travis check out my new Wally Marshall Pro series 5'2 combo at Bass Pro it's the perfect dock shooter, and i think it's on sale on -line at Bass Pro Shops
    thanks Wally Marshall

Post Thanks / Like

The two combos I use for this are a 10' Outlaw pole with a Quantum EM-7 reel spooled with 6lb Fireline, or a 4 1/2 UL Shimano rod that has a Quantum Snapshot 3 with 6lb Fireline on it as well.

I can shoot a 1/32 oz jig over 25' under pontoon boats with either of these two setups. Russ Bailey and I will be filming a segment for his show this Spring just on shooting docks, and I'll be using these two set-ups during the show. I am pretty sure Russ will be using an OutLaw pole as well. You will have to check us out when the segment comes out. If our timing is right, it should be some great fishing for us when we film. Full baskets to ya!

<,"}/>{ Rippa
    Just one more cast, I promise!
    Common sense isn't all that common these days.
    Take the Time & Take the Kids

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Arrow Travis ...

I've used several lengths and strengths of rod to "dock shoot" with ... from 5ft UL to 7ft light action. For my own personal opinion on this -- I prefer a 6ft MH spinning rod. But - for ANY rod - it's all in the timing of the release of the line coming off the reel (after releasing the jig and sending it on its way) that makes a good "shot" ... well, that and accuracy :D - but that comes with getting your aim and timing and angle of trajectory all coordinated ...LOL!! I like the heavier action graphite rod, because it builds up more "power" when bent back ... sending the jig skipping across the surface and far back under a dock or pontoon. But, I'm just a "beginner" with this "dock shooting" method ... and still learning the ins & outs.

I believe Russ Bailey and Don York (Don@Eden) did a "dock shooting" episode on Watts Bar. It should already be on video/CD. I haven't seen the video, so I don't know if it "teaches" you the method - or just shows you the results. I do know that it works !! All you need to do is ask most of the 1st Place team members that fish the Spring Fling or Fall Brawl Crappie Tournaments on Watts Bar Lake - they'll tell you the same!! ...luck2ya ...cp

Post Thanks / Like

I used to fish with a guy who was really good at dock shooting. He used a VERY short rod. It's been quite a few years ago, now, but I remember it as being only about 3 1/2 or 4 feet long. It was a spincast arrangement, I think. He would release the jig with his left hand, release the thumb button to shoot line & extend his right arm, pointing the rod tip at the target all in a coordinated motion that was very effective. Sort of like what you would do if you were shooting a slingshot. What I can't tell you, tho, was how stiff that shorty rod was.

Tugaloo

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys. A local sporting goods store is closing a location, and liquidating all inventory, so I am trying to find a good candidate among what they have, since they are pretty cheap. I can see how a stiffer rod would be less whippy, and probably allow you to "shoot" a jig farther and more accurately. I will see what they have in the 4.5-6' range.

Post Thanks / Like

Pope and Pruett are probably 2 of the best dock shooters on the tournament trail. Look them up on Crappie USA tournament results. They told me that one of their primary outfits to shoot docks was a Wally Marshall 5'2" rod and a Wally Marshall spinning reel. Based on that I bought one and like it very well.

Post Thanks / Like

short light rods are the way to go here. Some people even use ice fishing rods to get way up in there on a bow and arow cast.
    To land one of my crappie i need a gaff and a .22 pistal :D

J.YORK Guest

crappiepappy hit it right on the head, the best rod to launch your jigs under docks is a 6 foot med.action. I have tried all kinds of rods and this type gives your more control and greater distance. Shoot em all!!!