Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Wappapello report

Post Thanks / Like

Default Wappapello report

Fished wapp. Sat and Sun. Found the fish in 11' of water on the flats. Saturday was good, and sun was slow. Caught them on jigs rigged 12" apart under a float fishing 7' deep. There were a few small fish in shallower flats less than 11' deep, but nothing like the nice fish we were into in 11'.

Jig color did not seem to matter much. Everyone we talked to was using a different color. I just seemed as long as it was chartruse(sp) and something you were ok.

later
    longshot

Post Thanks / Like

2/12-13/05 report

2/12
    caught fish in 7'-3' of water fishing 18"-5' deep. I would call it fair fishing. The larger fish were in the deeper flats off of the river channels. There were a lot of smaller fish in the flats off the smaller creek chnls. Had reports of lots of nice fish coming from the drop offs along the river chnl stumps.

2/13
    moved up the lake and fished where they were hitting "yesterday". Fished the flats off of the river chnl a little and then went to the drop off along the river chnl with stumps. Fishing was SLOW and wet/windy. The nicer fish came off the chnl drops with stumps. Most fish came from the drop fishing @10-12' of water 5-7' under a cork. Fishing slowed to a crawl after 12:30.

longshot

Post Thanks / Like

I drove down from St Louis this last saturday to drop off my boat for some service in Poplar Bluff and figured I would just have to test it out when I pick it up next saturday and see if the work helped me catch more crappies. Where are some good area's to go for a newbe to Wappapello, I am picking up my boat from The Boat Shop off highway AA just about a mile or so down 60. So anything close to that area would be great.

I am not familiar at all with the area but seeing as it's one of the closest lakes to home I figure I would like to learn alot more about it.

I would love a chance to take some papermouth Slab's home for dinner that night.
    Last edited by Raintree; 03-07-2005 at 05:55 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Fished sat and sunday. Both days were good. Started in 5-6' of water then as the day got warmer went down to 2' of water. You got to catch a LOT of small fish to get the larger 10"+ fish. Caught @ 250-300 fish Sunday with 2 of us. We took home 36 nice ones. The larger fish seem to be starting to move into the smaller creek arms of the lake now. Water temp makes it to the mid 50's in the afternoon on sunny days and the shad and crappie follow.
    Any color as long as it is chartruse :D On sat. we used a slow steady retrieve, and sunday they wanted a twitch twitch pause retrieve.

later
    longshot

EXAGGERATOR Guest

Hey Longshot,
    When retrieving, did you use a bobbler or float? Also was it a jig that you were retrieving?
    Thanks and take care,
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, It was 2 jigs we were using under a float. We rig two jigs up about 1' apart.

We fished Sat on Wapp and did really well. LOTS of larger fish. Most of mine were 3/4# or better. They were in 4' of water on the flats. The 2' flats held a LOT of fish , but they were running smaller at @ 8" with a larger one sometimes. It should be really good fishing shallow flats from now till the spawn is over. The fish are hitting a LOT more agressive now.

later
    longshot

EXAGGERATOR Guest

Hi Guys,
    Thanks for the info Longshot! However, I do have one question! This is going to be a dumb question and I apologize for asking but, I'm not sure of it. What do you mean by "the flats"?
    Thanks again and chat with you later,
    The EXAGGERATOR

Post Thanks / Like

EX

When I say the flats I am talking about the flat areas on the lake bottom. These flats we fish are large areas of consistant depth.

3/25-26

We fished 2-5' flats friday. The fish started in 5' and moves shallower as the day went on. LOTS of small fish, but few large ones later in the day as the boat traffic got heavier. At one time there were 22 boats in the creek arm with in @ 40 acres. Catching larger ones where there is less traffic. 22 boats running around with trolling motors and other noise in 3' of water turns the larger ones off. Still fishing two jigs @1' off the bottom with a float. Got reports of others catching GOOD limits of fish. One boat had 55/60 fish 10" and over. They were fishing flats also, but had a LOT less pressure and noise. Chart. was the key color as usual.

Sat,
    Fished the 5-6' flats early and did good first pass. Got some nice fish. Then the boat traffic started in and it got worse and worse. Went to 10-12' of water and the guys long pollin with minnows wer doing better. Got a good report from up the lake on Sat. Guys fishing edge of creek chnl back up a creek got some nice fish.......once again lower traffic= larger fish.

thanks
    longshot

EXAGGERATOR Guest

Talking

Hi Longshot,
    Thanks for the detailed info on your fishing days and about the flats. I kinda thought that's what everyone was talking about but wasn't sure. My brother-in-law and I made a trip to BPS last Saturday night. I could spend at least $1000.00 in there but, my wife would have my head on a platter. Possibly I'd even be fishing for it in the lake along with my clothes. I didn't get out of there without spending a couple hundred though. From what I can see of the weather and if it stays true, also from what I read, the crappie should be starting their spawning process and be up toward the shallows on the flats. Would this be a correct assumption?
    Thanks again and will chat later.
    EXAGGERATOR