Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Where's Ely, and whatdaya catch?

Post Thanks / Like

Talking Where's Ely, and whatdaya catch?

Dad's ask me to go with him to Ely for 2days guided and 3 days fishin by ourself the end of this month. Have never been to Minn. But was a big Vikings fan growin up. Now that we got the panthers I pull 4 vik's when panthers aren't playin. Anyhow Whats gonna be bitin when we come? Noticed not many posts on yall's board as our's is lit up now! Crappie rite in the middle of spawn here. Goin' on a nite stalk tomarra nite, the weather's spose to be 65-70 at nite! Looked on a web cam at the lake we're gonna be on and it was still frozen! All we ever see is ice around peirs or shore. Please let me know what to expect weatherwise and what we're fishin for that time of year

Post Thanks / Like

Bring some warm clothes.
    I do BWCAW canoe trips and it has snowed on us or it was 80 degress.You never know.
    You'll also want a head net for the black flies.
    Trust me on that point.No amount of bug dope will help.
    They'll eat you alive.You'll be bleeding so bad you'll leave a blood trail.
    As to fishing ,it's the best you'll find ,especially at that time of the year.
    Walleyes smallmouth bass,big pike.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by liv2fry
    Dad's ask me to go with him to Ely for 2days guided and 3 days fishin by ourself the end of this month. Have never been to Minn. But was a big Vikings fan growin up. Now that we got the panthers I pull 4 vik's when panthers aren't playin. Anyhow Whats gonna be bitin when we come? Noticed not many posts on yall's board as our's is lit up now! Crappie rite in the middle of spawn here. Goin' on a nite stalk tomarra nite, the weather's spose to be 65-70 at nite! Looked on a web cam at the lake we're gonna be on and it was still frozen! All we ever see is ice around peirs or shore. Please let me know what to expect weatherwise and what we're fishin for that time of year

If ya look on the map Ely is about 100 miles North/Northeast of Duluth Minnesota, 45 miles from my house. Alot of nice lakes up there but I really don't have much experiance on them as I spend most of my time closer to home or on vermilion. I help take care of the Marker Buoys on Burntside and Shagiwa which are very near Ely.

Post Thanks / Like

Rancherlee, would that be Vermilion river or lake? I'm headed up the first week of June with around 10 guys and we are staying at Gold Mine Resort on the Vermilion River. I don't know if you have heard of the place since I am sure there are many outfitters and resort up your way. Have you all gotten much rain lately? I would apricate any help.
    CrappieKeith, I believe I have communicated with you earlier and hope things are going well and the fish are bitting. We are getting excited and ready to find some fish.
    Again any help would be great (types of bait, colors, etc). Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Vermilion Lake, My Grandfather lives on the Cook end and we also do the bouys on Vermilion also. Vermilion has a redish tint to the water and I tend to use brighter colors. Early June is a GREAT time to fish for walleye on vermilion, they are usually pretty slow up until then. I mostly fish for Northern Pike, though there a some nice big Muskie in there too (have yet to catch a muskie over 40" though I have seen some over 50" come out of there)

Post Thanks / Like

Thanx for the reply guys. Can't say I've ever worn headnets for bugs, only place round here to get one would be honey bee supply so guess I'll get one up there. Hope you're foolin bout the flies but dad use to fish the great lakes and said he'd forgotten about them. Was thinkin bout UPS'n some rods and tackel box up, mostly fish for largemouth and crappie,any suggestions on what to bring would be great. By the way, ck'd out Ely on my lowrance map create. That place has so many lakes it looks like a swamp! Round here in NC we have one river run south with lake after lake, move 50mi. east and do it again on another river, 50mi. east and do it again

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by liv2fry
    Thanx for the reply guys. Can't say I've ever worn headnets for bugs, only place round here to get one would be honey bee supply so guess I'll get one up there. Hope you're foolin bout the flies but dad use to fish the great lakes and said he'd forgotten about them. Was thinkin bout UPS'n some rods and tackel box up, mostly fish for largemouth and crappie,any suggestions on what to bring would be great. By the way, ck'd out Ely on my lowrance map create. That place has so many lakes it looks like a swamp! Round here in NC we have one river run south with lake after lake, move 50mi. east and do it again on another river, 50mi. east and do it again
    We ain't lying. The bugs are bad.

Speaking of pests...I bet I've pulled AT LEAST 50 woodticks while running riverbanks with the lab. I've heard flies/gnats/skeeters like green colors, but...hell...there's not stopping them. I've also tried a dryer sheet under my cap. That helps when there are but a few. Get into a swarm and you're SOL.
    "If you really want something in this life you have to work for it. Now quiet, they're about to announce the lottery numbers."