Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Gonna lose fish if you don't check these things

Post Thanks / Like

Default Gonna lose fish if you don't check these things

I know we've all done this: pulled a lure free from a stump or rock. My partner was losing fish until I told him to let me see his jig hook. Sure enough after he pulled his jig free from a stump, it opened the hook gap from parallel to the hook shank to near 45 degrees upward. Plus I noticed his hook wasn't as sharp as it could be so with pliers and file I solved both of his lost fish problems.

We were both using braid and hadn't bothered to check for line wear. We didn't lose fish, but did lose jigs to the stumps we got stuck trying to pull them free, even though bronze jig hooks will usually open up and release from wood. Hook gap has to then be reshaped.

The other thing he was doing wrong was reeling like crazy after setting the hook. Crappie especially get docile when being retrieved slow-but-steady and actually swim towards me until the last second. Too much jerking when reeling fast loses fish due to the the hole made by the hook getting torn larger. Other species will swim sideways or down and requires the rod tip to follow them while reeling in slack line. Gentle as you go can not be stressed enough unlike bass or pike which need more power and a heavier line.
    Likes Mray572, Skippa Chippa LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

i am quite the opposite on this subject . but to be sure everyone dances to different music.
    …..…. i like rip em and flip em music ….
    sum kawl me tha outlaw ketchn whales
    Likes LittleStick LIKED above post

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't mind loosing fish. Remember the old saying, "you shoulda seen the one that got away".
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

Im with Ketchn. when i set a hook i want his eyes to cross haha even when trolling. On the other hand I dont try to rebend or reshape bent hooks i just replace them... jig heads are fairly cheap and I like many others have an obession with fishing stuff so I have a box full of jig heads!

Post Thanks / Like

I haven’t set the hook on a fish in years. Using only UL or lighter rods with extremely fast tips....jig heads as sharp as a hypodermic needle.....no need to set the hook. Even on bass the hook penetrates the bony part of the mouth. Since I only use 2# test line I retie quite often and with true 2# test line one isn’t going to get many hung up jigs back to even try to straighten back out.

Regards

Sent from my iPad using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    Likes Spoonminnow LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

When UL fishing for gills n slabs I may lightly set the hook depending on the rod, sometimes the fish wins and that's ok - aggravating - !!?Gonna lose fish if you don't check these thingsGonna lose fish if you don't check these thingsGonna lose fish if you don't check these thingsGonna lose fish if you don't check these thingsGonna lose fish if you don't check these thingsGonna lose fish if you don't check these thingsGonna lose fish if you don't check these things

Sent from my SM-J337P using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    Likes Cane Pole, skeetbum, Spoonminnow LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Have to agree with Alpha and DrFish. I rarely lose fish once the strike is felt for the same reason: a super sharp point that pierces the skin causing the fish to panic, making it go deeper past the barb, followed by an increase in rod angle (usually sideways) along with fast turns of the reel handle. This hook set technique insures the fish will strike a second time one second after a missed strike, almost as if the fish doesn't want the lure to get away, IOW a double bump that is felt. Braid has zero stretch and an over-the-shoulder hook set necessary with mono is unnecessary.