Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crappie On Rocks Or Live Well?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Crappie On Rocks Or Live Well?

I was keeping my crappie in a live well and was keeping them alive all day long. Someone mentioned to me that crappie are a soft cell tissue and for them to be best and taste best, you need to catch them and put them on ice as soon as you catch them.

Is this true? At times i turn my catch back from my live well, if i come in late or do not have enough for a good mess. I know in the dead hot summer and if your fish are dead and you come in later that isn't good. I actually have two live wells and i turn the aeriator on both of them often for the fish and try not to over crowd to much one live well. If ice is the best, then i'll start using ice for the crappie.

Post Thanks / Like

Best way,
    Last edited by greatthosu; 02-08-2008 at 02:44 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I ice them if im not fishing a tournament,it sure does make them fillet easy also when put on ice.
    Jig & Ellie are my green headed corn grinder finders.

R.I.P Jig dog

Post Thanks / Like

I prefer to put them on ice right away, but I use a stringer some time and they're still good.

Post Thanks / Like

taste the same to me both ways.

Post Thanks / Like

I've done it both ways and can't see any difference.

David Waters is offline Moderator Shoals Area Crappie Association Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I know some guys that are just absolutely gung ho about putting them in bags and on ice. They say the fish ruin or are not as good. I haven't noticed anything different really. So I don't think there is a big difference.
    Shoals Area Crappie Association

Post Thanks / Like

The only difference I can tell is that they are easier to fillet if you put them on ice as Deadeye said in a post above.

WALLY MARSHALL PRO STAFF
    CATCHIN' CRAPPIE GUIDE SERVICE
    CREEKS ROD TRANSPORT RACK
    870-307-2572

Post Thanks / Like

I don't see why a crappie would taste any better when put directly on ice than letting them live in the live well till cleaning time or quick departure home..
    ..I also toss crappie back into the lake if I don't feel like taking them home and not wanting to clean them....
    ..If you throw your fish on ice right away I'd make sure I was gonna clean them and especially if I only catch a few...What a waste if you are just too tired to mess with a couple..
    ......Freshness does matter when eating fish and the sooner you get that fish cleaned the better......Dead fish are dead meat....Live fish are fresh meat...But when put on ice it does save the decomposing time......

Last edited by Litebite; 04-11-2007 at 04:05 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I put a bag of ice in the bottom of the cooler.... add crappie.... open a bag of ice and scatter over the top...... that way you can take a nap when you get home until your wife comes home so she can help you clean'em....
    Good fishing.............

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast