Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Johnson 150 Outboard Input?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Johnson 150 Outboard Input?

Anyone have any opinions on a 1993 Johnson 150 fast strike? Looking at a Stratos dual console rig with this engine.

Post Thanks / Like

Biggest fault with those older engines was carbon build up around the rings from someone using cheap 2 stroke oil. Other wise they were a solid engine being carbureted not the best on fuel economy but what the heck a lot cheaper then new. I would pull a plug and shine a light inside the cylinder and see if there is a bad carbon build up expect some but not alot, engine compression check.
    Likes Snubby LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Test the compression on it, cylinders should be in the ballpark of 85 to 100 psi with less then a 10% variance across the board. I have a 91' and a 93' Evinrude Inturder (same engine as the Johnson). Great motors in my opinion, they love the fuel though. Also, make sure you get it on the water for a test drive.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bricks View Post
    Biggest fault with those older engines was carbon build up around the rings from someone using cheap 2 stroke oil. Other wise they were a solid engine being carbureted not the best on fuel economy but what the heck a lot cheaper then new. I would pull a plug and shine a light inside the cylinder and see if there is a bad carbon build up expect some but not alot, engine compression check.
    Yep I pony up the money for OMC 2 stroke oil. Can order it cheaper by the case, I ran a gallon of Supertech and didn't like it. My opinion spend the extra $15 a gallon on oil, it's cheap compared to gas!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Snubby View Post
    Test the compression on it, cylinders should be in the ballpark of 85 to 100 psi with less then a 10% variance across the board. I have a 91' and a 93' Evinrude Inturder (same engine as the Johnson). Great motors in my opinion, they love the fuel though. Also, make sure you get it on the water for a test drive.
    So 85-100 psi is good? Not doubting, but I have no idea what to expect with an older V6. He said it would run 55 mph on the Stratos 18 footer with his 3 blade prop.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by skintback View Post
    So 85-100 psi is good? Not doubting, but I have no idea what to expect with an older V6. He said it would run 55 mph on the Stratos 18 footer with his 3 blade prop.
    Yes that is good compression for those engines. My 91' has a rebuilt powerhead with the the original 195 hot heads (no detuning) and is 90 psi across all 6 cylinders. The 93' is newly acquired (original powerhead). I bought it just to have the engine, the boat was secondary. It reads 100 on #1 cylinder and thru the 90's on all others. If you see a variance of 10% or more be worried. Example: if 5 cylinders are 95 and one is 80 stay clear. My 18' Stratos single console will bust 60 plus by myself and fully loaded. Raker 24 3 blade prop. Good thing about these engines the powerheads can be rebuilt for less the $4,000.00. I would require the maintenance records of possible, ask if it's an original powerhead or a rebuilt. If it's original I would still go into the mindset of having to put some money into it down the road. 25 year old engine is just that. Also, be sure to check the lower unit oil.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Test the compression on it, cylinders should be in the ballpark of 85 to 100 psi with less then a 10% variance across the board. I have a 95' Evinrude Inturder (same engine as the Johnson). Great motors in my opinion, they love the fuel though. Also, make sure you get it on the water for a test drive.

I have had mine for 17 years and have had no complaints. they are built like a tank.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 26 p 3 blade and get 72 out of it. with a 4 blade 24 renegade i get 66 out of it.

Post Thanks / Like

IMO The Fast strike motors were the worst motors made. I had a 150 Faststrike and it was constant trouble, I also know of countless others that also have had tons of trouble. I would look for anything other than a Faststrike. Just my opinion though, good luck and God Bless.

Sent from my VS988 using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Every time I read a post like this I am reminded of a saying a friend of mine use to say to his customers. He was the service manager of a large Marina in Va. Beach. If you want to go far, buy an Evinrude. If you want to go fast, buy a Mercury. If you want to go far and fast, buy a Yamaha. This was 20-25 years ago so I'm sure things have changed a little. LOL
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast