Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Red Wigglers

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Red Wigglers

I know a lot of you probably raise your own red wigglers so that you will have them handy when you want to go Bream, Perch or Crappie fishing. I took one of those nice plastic cases with the lid and handle you get from any craft store. Get the smallest drill bit you can find and drill about 75-100 holes in a circular pattern in the bottom for drainage and air. Drill the same pattern on one of the sides and one of the same patterns in the top lid. This should give you plenty of ventilation.

(If you're worried about some of the "babies" escaping, pick up some of the real tiny holed plastic grid sheet and glue it over the holes)

I use a mix of dirt, crushed bark, some manure and a few leaves with some pearlite. I feed them worms twice a month with some bananas, veggies, grapes or strawberries. Keep the soil moist and they will reproduce and be happy to go fishing whenever you are. Sure beats paying $2.50 a cup at a bait store if you can find one open at 5:30 a.m.

What tricks / tips etc do others use to keep and/or raise red wigglers? They can't be beat for perch or Bream. I use my modified Carolina Rig to float the bait off the bottom. You can use a tiny bit of "water noodle" or hunters "earplugs" to float the bait and hook. Thread the line through the small water noodle with a needle, then tie on your hooks with a Palomar knot.

Thanks.

old ship.
    Last edited by shipahoy41; 04-07-2007 at 12:52 PM.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Redwigglers

Hey Shipahoy41, Thanks for taking the time to share the info. on the redwigglers and the fishing rigs. I was using the same containers that you are using before I made the worm bed outside under my grapevine and they worked well, I used screen wire mesh over the two openings I had in each of the lids. I had the containers inside[ In my spare bedroom] Did not want worms loose in the house and they will wander on rainey nights. Again thanks for taking the time to share . Take care. Jimmy S. Ga. Crappie.Com