Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: LOZ water temps

Post Thanks / Like

Default LOZ water temps

Fished this morning after the winds of the weekend. In the area I fish, anyway, the water temperature was 55 degrees this morning. Air temp was in the upper 40's. Between the cool night and the waves tempering the water (mixing the cooler subsurface water with the warm surface water) down to 55seemed to have backed the crappie away from the banks.(started Saturday with the winds)
    Went out this morning and caught some nice fish in 15 to 25 feet of water, suspended down about 8 to 10 feet. Caught a nice 20" hybrid on a 1/32 oz chartreuse and red crappie jig, was a real fighter. Caught it in the first 30 minutes on the lake, went back to the dock for a picture and released it to fight again!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    the trick to catch that finnicky speck....
    gently set the hook just before the peck

Post Thanks / Like

I bet that was a pretty good tussle on the crappie rig!

Rob2T2 Guest

Smile Can you give me any tips?

Crappiehusker,

I am fishing on LOZ all week this week. I am staying in a condo on Horshoe Bend, so I will be fishing this area. Do you have any tips that would help me out. This is my first time here and I would really like to have some success. Yesterday I went out and caught one 13 " hybrid in the morning and nothing else. My kids will be here tonight and I would like to get them on some Crappie. Thanks for any help you can provide!

Rob

Post Thanks / Like

Rob2T2,
    As far as the Horseshoe Bend area, I have never been there or fished there, but the water temperature drop recently (at least my thoughts) have sent the fish deeper. If you are fishing docks at the condo you are staying at and you have kids fishing and with the water temp drop your best bet may be fishing minnows, trying various depths of water until you find a good pattern. I caught a nice mess yesterday, finding the fish deeper suspended just off brush in 15 to 25 feet of water, 8 to 10 feet deep, but the wind has picked up this morning and may change their location. The fish are not deep, they are just suspended in this deep water. But do not forget to fish shallow water also. I would also try jigs, sometimes they outfish minnows. I have only bought minnows once this year and that was because we had friends visit, and they like to use minnows.
    Best advice, just be persistent and try different depths near wood or other cover, shadows, etc. and Good Luck!
    the trick to catch that finnicky speck....
    gently set the hook just before the peck

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Rob2T2

I am fishing on LOZ all week this week. I am staying in a condo on Horshoe Bend, so I will be fishing this area. Do you have any tips that would help me out. This is my first time here and I would really like to have some success. Yesterday I went out and caught one 13 " hybrid in the morning and nothing else. My kids will be here tonight and I would like to get them on some Crappie. Thanks for any help you can provide!

Rob
    Patience and Persistence will be the key. The cold front could shut them down for a while. Hang in there!

BTW, great fish, CrappieHusker!
    Webmaster for: http://www.slabbuster.com and other fine sites.