Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Saturday's escape

Post Thanks / Like

Default Saturday's escape

The call from my favorite fishing hole was pretty strong lately and I decided to give it a go. Saturday was Opening Day for the Dove Season around here, so there was only a couple other guys waiting for the gate to open at the lake early Saturday morning. They would be fishing for bass and each raced away from the ramp, like they might get beat to their spot by the other guy. I was in no hurry, which is a good thing, because a kayak doesn't get me anywhere very fast. My most productive spots were 3 miles down the lake anyway, so I set a steady paddling pace and just enjoyed the ride. The lake was flat and smooth, without so much as a breeze to ripple the surface. An Osprey was perched in an overhanging limb on a steep bank, waiting for breakfast. About half way down the lake I let out a couple different colors of Flicker Shads to get under the schools of shad I was seeing dimpling the surface. In no time, the right rod got absolutely hammered by something big that stopped momentum of the boat and spun it around 90 degrees. The rod bucked and drag screamed for about 7 seconds, then stopped. Probably a big gar that couldn't stand to let that little crankbait pass. The lure was still on and there were no nicks in the line, I kept paddling.

In the time it took for me to get from the ramp to my honey hole, the sky had gone from early morning milky haze to a bright blue, cloudless sky, with the sun beating down. It wasn't long before the first crappie hit the pink crankbait. It wasn't huge, but not bad either. I was running a Fashy Pink color on my left and a Slick Mouse color to the right. Fish started coming occasionally, but I was sure having to paddle a lot between bites. Dropping the lures back 120 feet into deeper water helped bring more regular strikes. By mid morning a few clouds were beginning to form, though it was way more sky than clouds and there was a ripple on the water. I was thankful for the break from the sun. I switched over to following the channels around since the surface feeding shad had moved deeper. I ran into some average sized White Crappie over and around the channels, which were 55 feet deep, though the fish were holding between 8-10 feet.

I found a big gang of junior bass schooling on a hump beside the channel. I boated 6 of them before I left them alone, as they were not what I was after. By now, the clouds were starting to gather and it took changing lure colors to get more regular bites going again. I switched to a Chartreuse Hothead and Blue Smelt. The crappie liked the change. I also caught one channel cat around 4 pounds and had another something big nail the Smelt, but it pulled off before it got half way to the boat. About then, I noticed that there were way more clouds than sun & sky and there was starting to be a chop on the water. About 3.5 miles from the dock, I heard the first rumble of thunder in the distance. I pointed the bow towards the boat ramp and started pulling. The next thunder sounded when I boating my 30th crappie of the day. None were exceptional sized, but none were particularly short either. I reeled in both lines and started digging for home. I made it back to the ramp in less than 45 minutes. Fear of lightning is strong motivation to paddle faster than usual. You can see the progression of weather in these pictures, from hazy, to clear, to cloudy, to all heck about to break loose.

I'm grateful to have gotten a fun day fishing and make my way off the water safely. I ended up ketchin' 30 crappie, 6 bass, one catfish and I paddled 13.2 miles to do it.

Jim

Name:  9-1-18.1.jpg
Views: 464
Size:  58.3 KBName:  9-1-18.2.jpg
Views: 465
Size:  55.4 KBName:  9-1-18.3.jpg
Views: 478
Size:  60.1 KBName:  9-1-18.4.jpg
Views: 472
Size:  51.3 KBName:  9-1-18.5.jpg
Views: 431
Size:  104.1 KBName:  9-1-18.6.jpg
Views: 484
Size:  64.2 KBName:  9-1-18.7.jpg
Views: 476
Size:  64.8 KBName:  9-1-18.8.jpg
Views: 457
Size:  75.3 KBName:  9-1-18.9.jpg
Views: 492
Size:  60.5 KB
    Last edited by CrappiePappy; 09-03-2018 at 05:56 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Excellent post & pictures! Enjoyed the read. Good job.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

Great pictures and write up. Love the detail, almost made me feel like I went kayak fishing.

Post Thanks / Like

Great report and pictures! You worked for em!
    I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow! Nice crappie. Thanks for sharing the report and pictures.
    Be safe and good luck fishing

Post Thanks / Like

Dang, that Indiana Kayak Feller is also whacking them from the two arm-powered fishing vessel. I pulled my ride to the car wash and tried to spray away a summers worth of panfish slime out of the carpet. The background sky pictures fit your descriptions perfectly, typical late summer weather. Glad you had a safe trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app

sinkermaker is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice catch and thanks for the pictures

Post Thanks / Like

Nice catch. You sure work for them. Good job.

Sent from my SM-G530R4 using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice!

Post Thanks / Like

Nice pictures with some good results way to go!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast