PDA

View Full Version : Pushing cranks out front same length poles?

Nate926
08-09-2018, 12:40 PM
Hey guys I am interested in pushing cranks.

Do you use all the same length poles out the front like spider rigging, or varying lengths? Planning on getting bnm pst rods.

Also can you run 8 out front pushing cranks, like spider rigging or is it just to much?

Not interested in pulling and pushing at the same time since my boat is a 20 cc and would be a pain running back and forth from front to end.

Thanks!

CrappiePappy
08-09-2018, 03:57 PM
IMHO ... yes you "can" run 8 rods Pushing cranks. I don't advise running any of them "straight out" the front of the boat, as you may end up with lines around your trolling motor prop. So, with that in mind, you could run 4 angled off each side of the bow ... which would require some of them to be of different lengths to allow for a couple of feet of separation of your lines.

I only run 4 rods when Pushing ... a 14' rod & a 10' rod out each side -- but, I'm normally Pushing jigs, & just occasionally both jigs and cranks at the same time. But, like you, I'm a newbie at Pushing only cranks ... so I will defer to those that are more experienced.

Snubby
08-09-2018, 04:27 PM
Sure you could use 8 poles, be better with two people. We have a 4 pole per person limit in MS on the COE lakes. I normally like to use 16' poles with 3oz weights when pushing cranks, if your fishing alone I would limit myself to 4 poles until you got the hang of it and 6 if fishing with a partner then increase poles as you get the feel for it. The reason I prefer 16 footers is by the time you add a 3oz weight you lose overall pole length due to the bend in the rod from loading it up with the weight. You could also use (4) 16' pole in the middle and (4) 14' or 12' poles on your outside poles also, just keep the longer poles out in front of the TM.

1187mg
08-09-2018, 06:47 PM
I push 8 all the time with jigs and cranks. Same length pole is fine. Space them out a little and let er eat.

Sent from my XT1650 using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87936)

Nate926
08-09-2018, 08:33 PM
Ok great that makes me feel better! What make and model rods do you push cranks with and what length?

Jig Puller
08-09-2018, 09:28 PM
That's a loaded question, we all have our favorite brand names of rods we use. I personally use southern crappie rods 14 ft. I normally pull 8 out the back and push 6 out the front. JMO

Sent from my iPad using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87936)

CrappiePappy
08-09-2018, 09:51 PM
That's a loaded question, we all have our favorite brand names of rods we use. I personally use southern crappie rods 14 ft. I normally pull 8 out the back and push 6 out the front. JMO

Sent from my iPad using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87936)

Very true, JP .... and we also have to take into consideration how much weight is going to be used. I know a local crank pusher that uses 14, 16, & 20ft BnM rods with 2oz weights, and he's considering buying some of the new Power Troller BnM rods for use with heavier weights. And I just acquired a couple of the old BPS Uncle Buck's 13' (fiberglass) collapsible rods from a buddy of mine, which I've used before w/2oz weights Pulling cranks out the back of his boat ... and they performed quite well. I'm hoping to incorporate them into the mix of my PST & Capps/Coleman 14'rs for Pushing jigs/cranks out of MY boat.

deltarat
08-09-2018, 10:17 PM
The new B&M power trollers in 16' are good for pushing with weights

Hammmerhead
08-09-2018, 10:50 PM
The new B&M power trollers in 16' are good for pushing with weights

I just got 4 of the 16' power trollers and they're a different animal. 3oz weight and a Pico and they're barely bent at all, yet the tip still has great action. You get almost the full 16' stretch out of these under way. Having said that, they are not light and paired up with a heavy open face it can be a workout holding the rod and netting by yourself.

Nate926
08-10-2018, 12:23 AM
Thanks guys for all the info! I have 8 14’ Southern crappie rods for spider rigging but they are the standard 14’s so I doubt they would do very good for pushing cranks, and I have 2 of each b’n’m PST 20’, 16’, 12’ & 8’ on order for pulling cranks out the back, with diawa line counters. Once I get them I may experiment with pushing some cranks with them.

skeetbum
08-10-2018, 03:28 AM
Good separation on the rods, that should do well. Most folks, myself included, have a hard time biting the bullet for the up front cost of the rods and reels. If you buy what's recommended first it winds up being the most cost effective by eliminating the second choice that you try at first. My experience pushing is limited and I never ran more than 12' long rods, so I'm best to be quiet about long rods and 3oz weights. Here in FL we have no white crappie and cranks are a whole different animal, so I stick to long line jigs and do very well. I had 2' of separation on my long lines and tangled pretty regular. Have gone to 3' of separation and it works much better until you get a bigger fish that decides to hang a hard left wont be turned. Gonna happen no matter what separation you use. Good luck with it and keep us posted, we all learn from one another.

Jig Puller
08-10-2018, 06:51 AM
Nate I use the regular 14 scr to push cranks with but I only use a 2 oz weight and they work find. They seem to let the cranks work better with the tip action and I also have had better hook set with the give in the rod. Just experiment and see what rod works best for you. Main thing is having confidence in what your doing

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87936)

Nate926
08-10-2018, 09:05 AM
JP I am glad you posted I will be giving it a try with the scr’s! What line are you using on them?

Nate926
08-10-2018, 09:11 AM
Skeetbum I appreciate the info. Be for moving back to TN I was living on the ocean in VA, after offshore fishing, it doesn’t hurt near as bad as it used to buy the correct fresh water gear. If you are Gonna offshore troll better have a 2nd even 3rd job to support your habit lol.

skeetbum
08-10-2018, 09:55 AM
I lived in Manchester for 10 yrs and got my cranking experience there. Something else I found was that they start hitting cranks earlier than some folks think. I was trolling the deeper staging area's while everyone was fighting for the spawning zone. Did very well. Solid Black, purple over chartreuse, and a pink that leans toward red as much as you can find was always in my spread. Good luck with it.

Jig Puller
08-10-2018, 09:10 PM
Nate I use 10 lb izorline pulling and pushing cranks. I personally use 6 lb izorline longlining and spider rigging. There again it's a personal preference on the line and the weight of the line. If I'm fishing a lake with heavy structure I'll go to a 10 lb for spider rigging. I've just got use to the light line.

Nate926
08-11-2018, 12:02 PM
Ok thanks! I am back and forth between braid and mono.

SlabSeeker0485
08-15-2018, 01:07 PM
Not to hijack this thread but I was wondering how yall are running your crank setups? Where are u adding the 2-3oz? When I push minnows/jigs I run an in-line egg weight about 12 above my hook. Also, does anyone know if the 16 ACC trolling rods can handle 3oz weight? I am currently running (6) 16 ACC trolling rods off of a single, 6 rod Hi-Tek.

CrappiePappy
08-15-2018, 01:58 PM
Not to hijack this thread but I was wondering how yall are running your crank setups? Where are u adding the 2-3oz? When I push minnows/jigs I run an in-line egg weight about 12 above my hook. Also, does anyone know if the 16 ACC trolling rods can handle 3oz weight? I am currently running (6) 16 ACC trolling rods off of a single, 6 rod Hi-Tek.

Around here the 2oz trolling weight is attached to a clip or swivel on the tag end of the main line .... then a 5' leader runs between the weight and another clip/swivel attached to the crank. I've seen some members relate that they use 3' leaders & 3oz weights, so it's all personal preference on weight & leader length. But, most I know of have the weight ahead of the crank.

When I Push jigs, I have about a 2' leader line, at least ... and if cranks are in the mix I try and use at least a 3' leader for them, if not longer. I've only sparingly Pushed cranks (from my boat) so when I do get more into it, I'll likely use a 4-5' leader line.

Can't comment on the ACC rods, since I have no experience with them.

skeetbum
08-16-2018, 06:02 AM
Not to hijack this thread but I was wondering how y’all are running your crank setups? Where are u adding the 2-3oz? When I push minnows/jigs I run an in-line egg weight about 12” above my hook. Also, does anyone know if the 16’ ACC trolling rods can handle 3oz weight? I am currently running (6) 16’ ACC trolling rods off of a single, 6 rod Hi-Tek.

I used a 3 way swivel with a split ring and duo lock snap on one leg with no leader on the weight side. The leader between the swivel and crank was 10lb clear and had a duo lock snap on each end, and went to leg #2. Leg #3 was the main line and I used both braid and mono. 3 to 5 feet leaders are somewhat normal, and watch the swinging weight when landing a fish. Don't ask why I say that.