Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: pfd did you know

Post Thanks / Like

Default pfd did you know

so i went out memorial day taylorsville no fishing report because i did not do well.but on my way back to possum ridge going thru that small tip at settlers trace i was going a bit to fast and i got stopped slow down there is no wake allowed here you guys know the drill. the officers were very polite and said while they had me they would do a safety check , okay cool. so they go thru the usual oar, horn, throw able floatation device ,all okay and then, do you have have a personal flotation device of course so i pull out my bass pro special auto inflate pfd. some of you already know where i'm going with this for the others i will continue apparently if you have a 6 dollar orange vest somewhere on the boat you are legal but it you have that 90 dollar auto inflate you have to be wearing it. i was not aware of this so i thought i would share incase others are also unaware. i know i should be wearing it any way but i don't so i bought an orange one 6 dollars and threw it in the boat box

jackie53 is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dannyr3_8 View Post
    so i went out memorial day taylorsville no fishing report because i did not do well.but on my way back to possum ridge going thru that small tip at settlers trace i was going a bit to fast and i got stopped slow down there is no wake allowed here you guys know the drill. the officers were very polite and said while they had me they would do a safety check , okay cool. so they go thru the usual oar, horn, throw able floatation device ,all okay and then, do you have have a personal flotation device of course so i pull out my bass pro special auto inflate pfd. some of you already know where i'm going with this for the others i will continue apparently if you have a 6 dollar orange vest somewhere on the boat you are legal but it you have that 90 dollar auto inflate you have to be wearing it. i was not aware of this so i thought i would share incase others are also unaware. i know i should be wearing it any way but i don't so i bought an orange one 6 dollars and threw it in the boat box
    Please wear it.Own it to your family.
    Can tell ya many stories.
    Please Wear your Life Jacket.
    Like a seat belt becomes a Habit.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J120A using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    John 3:16
    Blessed to have as many friends as fingers on your hand is a blessing!!!
    "Gone fish'n not wish'n"
    In God We Trust.
    Can God trust us.
    Likes EWS, dannyr3_8 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

yup i been through the same,has to be on you to count

Post Thanks / Like

Like seat belts, they stand the best chance of saving our life when we wear them. I read a study a few years back where 80% of boating related fatalities were not wearing their PFD's. I second Jackie's post.
    Pass the "Sportsman Baton" on before you're gone, promote values for others to hunt and fish upon.
    Likes dannyr3_8 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the reminder!
    We always wear a life vest and kill switch while running the outboard, like a seatbelt as others mentioned.
    There's a marina at Cumberland that has the stats of drownings on the lake, somewhere in the upper 200's I believe. Zero while wearing a life vest. It's a sobering reminder

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com

Post Thanks / Like

Women say "Men don't read instructions" and they're right It says in the instructions, mine even says it on the label on the mesh bag it came in. "Not U.S.C.G. approved unless worn"
    smiles are contagious, spread them around
    Proud Member of the ZIPPER Club
    & Team Geezer
    Likes GREENFISH, dannyr3_8 LIKED above post

M R Dux is offline Crappie.com Legend , 2018 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I wear my inflatable any time the Suzuki is above trolling speed but also keep an old vest crammed in my anchor/spare prop storage box that doesn't count toward the vests in the boat when putting vests onboard for clients.

I made the comment to clients over the weekend-- not counting tournament anglers who are required to wear them, I would bet a good 80% of the boaters I see on KY and Barkley don't wear any PFDs. I know several fishermen who haven't seen theirs since the last check by the possum cops.

Funny thing happened Friday when I went to get my inflatable out of my truck at the ramp. I knew it was getting close to the expiration date for the bobbin in the charge unit and mine got soaked several times recently while fishing but didn't inflate. I went to get it out and it inflated when I grabbed it. I always carry a recharge kit but wore a vest while I ran the boat that day.
    www.crappie-gills-n-more.com
    Podunk Ideas Pro Staff /test platform
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Excel Boats Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GREENFISH View Post
    Thanks for the reminder!
    We always wear a life vest and kill switch while running the outboard, like a seatbelt as others mentioned.
    There's a marina at Cumberland that has the stats of drownings on the lake, somewhere in the upper 200's I believe. Zero while wearing a life vest. It's a sobering reminder

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com
    Alligator 2 on Cumberland has one of those signs.

302 have drowned,
    301 were not wearing life jackets
    Likes dannyr3_8, GREENFISH LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

My inflatable is so comfortable I put it on and leave it on. I, like most, took off my old "mattress stuffing with a zipper" as soon as the outboard was off. It was very confining and uncomfortable. But my inflatables do not hinder my casting or anything else.

I tell the story, and it is true, that the first day I used my inflatable, I put it on just before I got in the boat and when I got home from my trip I realized I still had it on.
    Clint
    Far West Kentucky
    http://www.crappie.com/crappie/signaturepics/sigpic31827_3.gif
    Old enough to know better and way too old to care!