PDA

View Full Version : I am a victim of ID theft...FYI

Cane Pole
06-02-2018, 08:59 AM
Not fishing, but this is important.

I received a letter from IRS stating someone had used my name and SS to apply for a job.

I was not worried about an attempt to steal my tax refund as I always pay (plenty). I would be happy to let the thief pay though.

I protected myself when I retired by placing a "freeze" on my credit reports when i retired. No one can use my credit. I also had "flags" added to my bank accounts that inhibit wire transfers, etc.

The breach of ID either came from EQUIFAX or the VA. My name was on both "be aware" warning lists when the breaches were reported.

The only hassle is waiting on new credit card. I will have to change a lot of stuff with the new cards, like Amazon, etc.

Just wanted to let everyone know that the thieves are real busy working to get out of working.

BE AWARE!

dhaire
06-02-2018, 09:20 AM
Credit freeze costs $10 per reporting institution (Equifax, etc.) in Texas. Total of $30 is cheap for the piece of mind.

Sent from my iPad using Crappie.com

trypman1
06-02-2018, 09:50 AM
Been there 3 times, what a bummer!

SeaRay
06-02-2018, 10:19 AM
Charges vary from state to state. SC residents pay no fees to them for placing or releasing freezes.

Alphahawk
06-02-2018, 11:32 AM
Sorry to hear that. Ive never had my ID stolen but my debit card has been hacked several dozen times. In talking with my bank I found out for those of us that drive a lot...thus fueling a lot.....we are the ones that happens to the most....and I drive a lot...around 50,000 miles a year. Iíve never lost any money as my bank has it back in less than 24 hours. But I have quit using a debit card at gas stations. For over a year now I only use a credit card at the pump and so far it has never been hacked. Like you I donít get a tax refund so Iíd be happy for someone to file and pay my taxes....LOL.

Regards

Sent from my iPad using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87936)

BarryG
06-02-2018, 11:44 AM
I NEVER use a debit card for gas purchases! That way you're only liable for $50.

Alphahawk
06-02-2018, 12:47 PM
I NEVER use a debit card for gas purchases! That way you're only liable for $50.

At my bank I have Zero Liability....it just got to be a hassle getting a new card all the time. Even the credit cards we use we donít have any liability if it is hacked. Most online purchases are done through PayPal so no worries there.

Regards

Sent from my iPad using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87936)

Cane Pole
06-02-2018, 01:19 PM
I don't trust the credit reporting agencies. They collect and sell sensitive personal information without anyone's consent.

SeaRay
06-02-2018, 01:55 PM
I don't trust the credit reporting agencies. They collect and sell sensitive personal information without anyone's consent.

My sentiments exactly. It's like they came out of nowhere and now they control your life. It would really hack me off if I had to pay them to freeze and unfreeze my credit history that I never agreed they could have and administer.
Our then Governor, Nikki Haley, negotiated the no charge arrangements via legislation.

HoosierSlabs
06-02-2018, 07:40 PM
I don't trust any agency.

Ketchn
06-03-2018, 05:55 AM
let me run this by yawl . I have had my credit card copied about way to many times . I am pretty sure most of it is internet purchases and or fuel purchases .
NEVER USE YOUR DEBIT card anywhere but at your bank is a word to the wise . Debit cards are direct links to your cash and credit isn't even real money until its time to pay .
you cant imagine the phone calls I have gotten from the credit card company in the past .....
mister so and so are you in warsaw Poland buying lots of makeup and leather goods ?
mister so and so did you just purchase 20 dollars worth of gas 4 times in a row ?
mister so and so are you in Henderson Nevada at the aqaurious hotel and just spend 4,000 dollars ?
the list goes on ....
ONLY use your credit card and watch the transactions closely as well , some of these folks do little purchases on it to see if you or your credit co. will notice before they go in for something larger .
I would rant on about this but to be sure its quite common ...
we got a phone call from CHASE just last night and we don't EVEN have a chase credit card or do any banking with them !!!
p.s. the newest thing I know of is cloning phone numbers and acting like they are with your credit card company or the IRS or even your bank
these kinds of folks make me rather upset or can you tell ! :banghead

Cane Pole
06-03-2018, 08:44 AM
I only have 1 credit card since I retired. Never had a debit card. The main reason I have a credit card is the fact than many places will not take cash. Honesty issues I guess.
Possibly a illegal needing ID for work or maybe another crook looking to steal from me or the US govm't in some form or fashion.

The Equifax and VA security breech is/has been a treasure trove for the fraudsters, both foreign and domestic.

I did the right things to protect myself from the crooks when I first retired. I could have been put in the pickle barrel.

Just wanted to let everyone know there is high activity within the ID theft market. Be cautious.

redearhoosier
06-03-2018, 10:04 AM
You know, I always wonder just who in the heck are these people out there that have enough savvy and technological know how to do this type of crime.

Is it the mafia?? Is it off shore groups of thugs? Or is it the local punks living in your town? Who does this? It must be a fairly sophisticated group.

Alphahawk
06-03-2018, 10:55 AM
You know, I always wonder just who in the heck are these people out there that have enough savvy and technological know how to do this type of crime.

Is it the mafia?? Is it off shore groups of thugs? Or is it the local punks living in your town? Who does this? It must be a fairly sophisticated group.

Itís all the above. I understand the police cannot do anything about someone in Nigeria who has somehow gotten access to your credit or debit card number and is using it....I get it. Iíll share what I think is a sad story.....sad for the fact the authorityís here in the USA donít really care about catching these guys. My debit card number was used at a Walmart in Spring Hill, TN at 10:35 p.m. on a day about 4 years back. I immediately canceled the debit card and got a new one. Having been through this many times before I thought OK...finally it has happened locally and this person is going to be caught. My bank put all my money back and I asked them do I need to file a police report....they answered no. Well I filed one anyway. They were nice but I get this attitude like there is nothing we can do about it. I did not let it die. I called each week to see how the investigation was going...well it wasnít really going anywhere. So I go to my bank and find out through their records the exact time.....the particular register used at the Walmart...and what they purchased......a prepaid debit card. So off I go to the Walmart and ask them do they have a video of that register being used at that time....the answer was yes. They confirmed the purchase and I asked could I see the video...the answer was no......but if the police requested it for an investigation they will let them have it. So off I go to the police department with this information. I was informed they donít really have the time to investigate it. So here was a local criminal...a thief....and they donít have time investigate. I was informed by Walmart the video would show clearly who made that purchase. So we have 2 problems here...the bank is not really interested in recovering their 100 dollars that it cost them.....the police department isnít really concerned with catching a criminal that could have been Iíd very easily. To me that is sad.

Regards

Cane Pole
06-03-2018, 11:04 AM
I don't know about the police situation, but the banks are licensed to steal.....

Snubby
06-03-2018, 11:29 AM
Too many crooks rambling about now a days, no matter if they are wearing a suit or a wife beater and jeans. What ticks me off, is the justice system is now leaning more towards promoting criminal activity as opposed to deterring it. Guess who cares when Johnny taxpayer will just have to foot the bill as usual.

Don G
06-04-2018, 07:32 AM
This is what Doris & I went through..

We were victims when the IRS computers were stolen
1) when we retired we did what you & Brenda did in freezing all credit bureaus
2) These are some of the folks that we ended up dealing with::
Local police report
State Police report
Federal Trade Commission
Federal Attorney General
State Attorney General
3) Virginia was very professional about assigning a person to our file that we had immediate access
to.

There is much, much more that I will tell you about....

Javelin 180
06-04-2018, 08:04 AM
I feel your pain ours was last year it was somebody in Florida that did it we found out later and it was a mess for a while and we still have blocks on certain things.