PDA

View Full Version : Packing light

Ketchn
06-02-2018, 06:35 AM
Some of the people that read my posts know I typically pack light . Its a rare day if I even carry a jig box and that's when I am in a boat if I do even then . So in many cases I don't have a high number of options with me and try to guess what is likely the best stuff to be pitching where ever and when ever I get to the water . When I hit the river by my work place at lunch break I stand on a 45 degree angle concrete slab up under a bridge . Its most assuredly a very precarious perch and tough on older body parts for sure . I don't try to carry anything much down that slope other than my phone and my rod already rigged with a float and a jig or 2 .
this particular trip I did have the G sauce in my back pocket though and man I have to tell ya the fish for sure will eat that stuff. A spray and a bite or 2 and after 3 fish I hit it again . If I make several casts and don't get hit I juice it up again as well . Now mind you I knew fish were there as I got a really hard hit first cast . To further add to my confidence I could see very small baitfish on the surface in numbers way across river in the shade . Those bait fish were nervous and jumpy and that's a for sure indication of predator activity under them most of the time .
Anyway on to the particulars , very long casts with a pencil float pinched on at about 5 foot above a single 1/16 at first and later I went to a tandem 1/32 under the same float depth as an experiment to see if color had much to do with the bite . Color and jig size wasn't making any difference I could see and I am pretty sure the G sauce was in on the hard bites I was getting .
The heat ran me off from the fish and I left them biting because I was thirsty and hungry and sweating right hard even in the shade with a breeze and a thin shirt . Lost several good fish as I was using to light of a rod for this kind of presentation with mono far out there . Hooksets far away must be VERY hard with mono to get hook penetration and my 7 foot Tica isn't the rod for this type of thing . She is an ultralite and I needed my heavier 8 footer but it didn't have a full load of line that's needed for these super long casts , so I made do and let a few get away .
Sort of frustrating for sure to feel a heavy one on for 2 or 3 reel cranks and then gone but with that much line out there its sometimes the way it goes . You have to really keep the pressure on them far way crappie , otherwise they stay far way :Rofl
hope you enjoy the read and photos :highfive
p.s. fish ran for the most part black white black white and a couple of smaller black bass were in with them on the bait as well .:cheers2

franklin fisher
06-02-2018, 07:14 AM
Nice bunch of fish. Great post.

dhaire
06-02-2018, 09:22 AM
Looks like Pepopís jigs. Hard to beat! Dennis

Sent from my iPad using Crappie.com

Crestliner08
06-02-2018, 10:17 AM
Excellent batch of fish and report.

ET Fish
06-02-2018, 11:52 AM
Well done!

Ketchn
06-03-2018, 06:03 AM
Looks like Pepopís jigs. Hard to beat! Dennis

Sent from my iPad using Crappie.com

the little pink headed one is yes sir , the little blue and chart is that gal from dfw and the big purple head is from either a guy from up north or ACAMS from east texas ....heck I may be wrong and it might be from someone else , maybe a guy from Washington state ....my old brain don't work like it used to
cant remember exactly who tied the larger one for me

CTaylorJr
06-03-2018, 07:59 AM
Looking good!

by the way, yeour inbox is full!