Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Weldon Rock Fish!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Weldon Rock Fish!!!

Made my 1st trip of the year on Monday the 16th. On the water by 7:30 am off by 1. We caught around 40 or 45 fish. 6 keepers and 2 that were over 22". All others were 16-17". We started catching fish directly across from the ramp. Majority of those were small. No keepers at all. We headed down river to look for some bigger fish. Found a nice pocket of larger fish a mile or so down river. We drifted through one stretch about 100 yards long 15 or 20 times. Picking up at least one every pass. All of the fish were hugging the bottom and were 15 or 20 yards from the bank. We caught all of our fish on live shad that we bought across from the ramp. Talked to several guys who were not have too much luck. They were using artificial and or large bass minnows. I know for sure that the bait makes a huge difference. I would not make the 1 1/2 hour drive if I could not get any live shad.

BUZZZZName:  IMG_3523.jpg
Views: 546
Size:  59.2 KBName:  IMG_3526.jpg
Views: 541
Size:  66.1 KBName:  IMG_3527.jpg
Views: 563
Size:  171.7 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Hi buzzbait, I'm heading up there tomorrow, could you tell me the name of the bait shop you went to, the only bait shop I know of is Bargain Land and thy don't have any shad.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shaqattack View Post
    Hi buzzbait, I'm heading up there tomorrow, could you tell me the name of the bait shop you went to, the only bait shop I know of is Bargain Land and thy don't have any shad.
    It's the place that looks like it is associates with a tire shop. If you come out the exit road from the ramp. Shoot across the highway that road would dead into the building. Get there early if going tomorrow as I bet it will be a zoo

Post Thanks / Like

I think I found it. It called Roanoke River trading Co. There in a red brick building 0n Sycamore St. I called the phone number they had and it said its not listed. Would anybody know the phone number?

Post Thanks / Like

Todobien have you heard if any Shad being caught up in Raleigh yet at the traileace?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shaqattack View Post
    No phone #. If you are coming down 158 turn left at the stop light before u get to the stop sign. last stop light before you get to the ramp. the guy has tanks set up to the left of an old building. If you get to the stop sign and the ramp is in front of you make a left. go pass the ramp and turn left. the place should be almost in front of you. you can literally see it from the ramp. Be prepared to break open your wallet. $10 a doz but using the live shad makes a huge difference. Hopefully you have some sort of bait tank. They are very hard to keep alive if you dont. Good luck!!!!

BUZZZZ

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you guys for the information, I really appreciate it. Let you know how we make out.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by REDBOAT View Post
    Todobien have you heard if any Shad being caught up in Raleigh yet at the traileace?
    I answered my own question after work! No fish being caught there aside from a small crappie and a perch. The Water was ripping!

Post Thanks / Like

I talked to the guy that owns the building and tire business where the guy sells the shad. Said he gets there about 6am and when it slows down after lunch he is gone. Told me to be there early if you wanna get bait.
    Mike

Take a kid outdoors!

Post Thanks / Like

Redboat - lots of gizzard shad are getting there now just like they used to stack up below Milburnie. If you catch or see an American (white) shad or or a striped bass at Falls please get some good photos and send them to me or call Restoration Systems at 919-755-9490. They are the company that removed Milburnie and they are trying to document that fish are moving past the old dam site.
    Likes REDBOAT LIKED above post