Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: my first attempt

Post Thanks / Like

Default my first attempt

Ok...i just built 2 fish attractors. First, I dont think I bought enough quickcrete. Each bucket is not quite half full. I do have 150 pounds of gravel though..so i can pour gravel in on top of it once it sets up to maybe add some security. So i need feedback...especially about the amount of quickcrete each bucket really needs. Also, im wandering, should i drill holes in the pvc to secure it more in the quickcrete?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

Hey CP, They look just fine! It doesn't take a lot of concrete to sink PVC like it does for wood. Next time try using 18 quart plastic dishpans from the dollar store or Wal-Mart. I think that you will like them better than the buckets and they are reusable.
    You don't have to drill any holes in your pipes. If you are not sure just try to pull one of them out after they have dried.
    Last edited by slabbandit; 03-24-2007 at 01:23 AM.
    CATCH A BIG-UN

Post Thanks / Like

Looks good CP.
    As far as holes, it depends on how deep the PVC is into the concrete to assure you have enough length for bond between the concrete and the PVC (you mention you were not sure if you used enough so do not know if there is 2 inches, 4 inches, etc.) I like to drill holes just to be sure as the cement and sand mixture is then sure to seep and be on either side of the small holes. I also like to drill holes-say 2 or 3 in the rest of the PVC just so that water will seep in the entire lengts of the PVC.
    the trick to catch that finnicky speck....
    gently set the hook just before the peck

Post Thanks / Like

Exactly to a teeeee. That is what I make and I have been catching fish off them for a while. Proper placement is the next key.
    THE BANDIT
    1 Corinthians 2:2.----Nothing else counts!!
    "This one thing I know, and that is Jesus Christ and Him crucified."

Post Thanks / Like

Ok well i feel better now. Thanks for the input guys. I really had no idea how this would turn out. I used all of what i read here to build them. and your right Slab...those pvc's are solid and feel like they are not gonna come out. I pulled on the middle one and lifted the whole bucket off the ground. There is exacly 5 inches of concrete in each bucket. I filled about 5 more inches of gravel on top of that today. Maybe I can attract crayfish with it or something...who knows. Im gonna make 6 more of them this week and put them all in one area.

Post Thanks / Like

cut the buckets in half, that will allow the arms to cover more surface area. No you're limited to the height of the bucket not allowing you to lay the pipe out to cover more area IMO.

Whit Guest

think i'll make some this weekend

Post Thanks / Like

Do you just pop it out of the dishpan and sink it that way? An 18 qt. is enough to keep it upright? I know that the PVC wants to float anyway. I may build some of these tomm. How high do you suggest the pipe be. Is that dependant on the depth of the water?

Thanks guys!

Post Thanks / Like

Hey CH, I have only built a couple with the dishpans recently but the pans pop right off easily. They don't have to be sprayed or anything. Just lean the PVC bed over after it sets up a couple of days and step on the lip on all four sides. The pan will pop right off when you lift the bed.
    I fill the dishpan almost full of concrete. We cut the pvc to lengths of 6 to 7 feet or you could cut the 10 foot sticks in half (5 feet). Only use about 9 pieces so the beds won't be too crowded.
    I put two out the other day in 9 foot of water and had no problem getting them out. They sank fast and looking at the bubbles escaping from the pipes they both stood up perfectly.
    CATCH A BIG-UN

Post Thanks / Like

Slabbandit...thanks for your insight. I got excited yesterday when I read about you all plotting and sceaming on how to build these things. The fish have been "off" for me and the weather has turned against me as well so I got up this morning and decided I was going to use what you guys had said to make some of my own.

Thanks for the advice...I posted a thread of my first one. Wanted to get input about it before I build five more and sink'em next week.

Carpop...Sorry, no trying to hijack your thread!

CH

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast