HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: 1987 Johnson VRO pump

Post Thanks / Like

Default 1987 Johnson VRO pump

Has anyone change from VRO pump to a regular fuel pump and pre-mix gas. My VRO was disconnected from oil tank years ago and now has a hairline crack leaking fuel. Mechanic references for 87 Johnson GT150 in Denver/Mooresville area. Seems like a simple job if I could find part number to get pump. Any help/tips or references would be appreciated. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

I’ve done something like that. Mechanic told me to mix my own gas and disconnected oil side. Down the road the gas intake had a hairline crack. New part would be $650. Found a fix where just get a 3 port pump. One hose went to crankcase to move diaphragm. One Gas in and 1 Gas out. It’s not pretty but it works just fine.Name:  IMG_7909.jpg
Views: 1188
Size:  67.0 KB

Name:  IMG_7913.jpg
Views: 2329
Size:  80.8 KB
    Thanks rlen thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Do you remember where you went to find the regular fuel pump part number to work with your motor. I have looked but have not found a cross reference.

Post Thanks / Like

Default 1987 Johnson VRO pump

Forums.iboats.com

I’m not certain but the 2nd picture may have a part number at the top. I just googled that part number and it will get you started on some parts sites.

Post Thanks / Like

on my 1986 120 hp all I did was cap off where the oil went into the engine similiar to this - https://www.thehulltruth.com/boating...hnson-vro.html

Fuel pump got weak years later so my mechanic put a fuel pump where the fuel like left the fuel tank to put positive pressure on the engine fuel pump. This was on a 23 ft center console so it was a long run for the fuel line.

Post Thanks / Like

I am pretty sure this is the right OEM kit. You can shop that part number. Also...I think the cheapest way is use another aftermarket pump and figure out a workable substitute for the other parts. I have never done it but I had a shop do mine. It's been a while...but I am pretty sure he replaced it and all the fuel lines and the throttle cables for like 500 something. So I am sure he used another brand aftermarket pump.

5007422 Pre Mix Conversion Kit - Johnson/Evinrude, OMC | Crowley Marine

Maybe this

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fuel-VRO-Oi...-/282322987952

Post Thanks / Like

REPLACEMENT "PRE-MIX" FUEL PUMPS FOR VRO EQUIPPED OUTBOARDS -- MASTERTECH MARINE

Here is where I purchased last night. It can't get here soon enough. Fingers crossed for a smooth and easy install.

Post Thanks / Like

There is no reason to switch out the pump. Cap off the oil line air tight and disconnect the alarm. Premix your gas and run on.

Post Thanks / Like

roach1, that was already done. The pump has a crack in the plastic section on the fuel intake.
    Likes swamprat LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

10-4.