HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spider Rig pole length??

Post Thanks / Like

Default Spider Rig pole length??

I fish mostly less that 12 foot of water and currently running 11 and 12 foot rods. About to sell em and get longer ones. Can’t decide between 14s and 16s? What are some of the pros and cons to each? Also, trying to decide between ACC crappie Stix or some Southern crappie Rods.

Post Thanks / Like

16's get the bait farther away from the boat in shallow water, That helps!

Post Thanks / Like

Yea that’s what made me decide to switch. I’m still very new to spider rigging and honestly didn’t know any better when buying my other rods. I realized real quick when I was on the water a few weeks ago when the boats with 16’ rods were doing much better than other boats. It was windy so had to be on the motor more so I’m sure that didnt help

Post Thanks / Like

I have 8 14 ft, 4 12ft and 2 10ft Southern Crappie. Adding 2 16ft next week to put on front . thought about getting 4, well see how it goes. I run shallow water too, usually 1p ft of lessa, a lot of times bait just running 2-4 ft. I switched all front rods over to baitcasters, much much easier, lift and thumb em down
    Likes SlabSeeker0485 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I love my 16 footers from Southern Crappie to spider rig.
    LittleJohn

Post Thanks / Like

I was in the exact same predicament. I didn’t know any better when I started and started with 10’ and 12’ rods. I quickly figured out that I needed longer rods. I went to 16’s and never looked back, and it definitely has made a lot of difference IMO. I pretty much exclusively fish in <10 FOW spider rigging and while at times 16’ rods can be a pain when you’re only fishing 3-4 ft deep, it will definitely increase your bites getting the baits away from boat noise. Just my .02

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    Thanks SlabSeeker0485 thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I too started with a pair of 10' and a pair of 12'ers. This year I added a pair of 14'ers, and a pair of 16'ers. Today was my first day out using the 16' for spider rigging. My local lakes only allow 2 poles with two jigs each. They took a bit to get used to.
    Couple of observations;
    -16' poles in a 16' boat makes it difficult to untangle a rod tip. Lesson learned- don't let the tip whip around while you maneuver the pole.
    -You must have someplace to put the rods so they aren't in the way when they aren't being used. Some prefer to lay them down in racks, I used a couple of those 3 pole holders. The type that hold the pole straight up in the air. Just make sure to remove them before going under bridges, on the water and off. lol
    -Storage when not in use. I bought the shortest rod socks I could find and break the poles down into their three section, tighten up the line, stuff them in the rod sock and stuff the whole thing in a rod locker. When I rebuilt the boat I made a rod locker specifically for them.

Oh, by the way. Glad I bought them...
    HOI Crappie Club
    Where family and friends come to compete for a little more than bragging rights.

Quick, someone teach me how to fish so I can win this tournament!!!
    Likes Redge, Marvin LIKED above post
    Thanks SlabSeeker0485 thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hanr3 View Post
    I too started with a pair of 10' and a pair of 12'ers. This year I added a pair of 14'ers, and a pair of 16'ers. Today was my first day out using the 16' for spider rigging. My local lakes only allow 2 poles with two jigs each. They took a bit to get used to.
    Couple of observations;
    -16' poles in a 16' boat makes it difficult to untangle a rod tip. Lesson learned- don't let the tip whip around while you maneuver the pole.
    -You must have someplace to put the rods so they aren't in the way when they aren't being used. Some prefer to lay them down in racks, I used a couple of those 3 pole holders. The type that hold the pole straight up in the air. Just make sure to remove them before going under bridges, on the water and off. lol
    -Storage when not in use. I bought the shortest rod socks I could find and break the poles down into their three section, tighten up the line, stuff them in the rod sock and stuff the whole thing in a rod locker. When I rebuilt the boat I made a rod locker specifically for them.

Oh, by the way. Glad I bought them...
    Yea that’s another concern is the rod length for my boat. I’m running a 1548 xpress and where I have to mount my spider is probably 18-24” back from the tip of the nose so right there I automatically lose that distance. I’m about to purchase some rod storage racks from a member on here so that should help in the transportation. I’m only running 4 rods so hopeful I can handle 16s. I will be running bait casters in hopes of making it easier to handle fish. Had a guy tell me that one difference he noticed between the 14s and 16s is that with the 14s he can use one hand to life fish but with the 16s it pretty much requires 2 hands. Any of y’all experience this??

Post Thanks / Like

Default Spider Rig pole length??

Quote Originally Posted by SlabSeeker0485 View Post
    Yea that’s another concern is the rod length for my boat. I’m running a 1548 xpress and where I have to mount my spider is probably 18-24” back from the tip of the nose so right there I automatically lose that distance. I’m about to purchase some rod storage racks from a member on here so that should help in the transportation. I’m only running 4 rods so hopeful I can handle 16s. I will be running bait casters in hopes of making it easier to handle fish. Had a guy tell me that one difference he noticed between the 14s and 16s is that with the 14s he can use one hand to life fish but with the 16s it pretty much requires 2 hands. Any of y’all experience this??
    You may have seen these pictures when I’ve posted them before, but I fish out of a 1556, so I’m kind of in the same position you are as far as length of the boat. You get used to it and figure out what works the best.

Name:  IMG_3828.jpg
Views: 2776
Size:  66.3 KB
    Name:  IMG_3883.jpg
Views: 1497
Size:  127.4 KB

I mounted my transport racks in the accessory rail, and I assume your Xpress has the same or similar rail. Just showing another option to keep rods up off of the floor and out of the way. I have spinning reels on my trolling rods and make it work, so if you go with baitcasters it ought to work even better. Hope this helps.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DHC View Post
    You may have seen these pictures when I’ve posted them before, but I fish out of a 1556, so I’m kind of in the same position you are as far as length of the boat. You get used to it and figure out what works the best.

Name:  IMG_3828.jpg
Views: 2776
Size:  66.3 KB
    Name:  IMG_3883.jpg
Views: 1497
Size:  127.4 KB

I mounted my transport racks in the accessory rail, and I assume your Xpress has the same or similar rail. Just showing another option to keep rods up off of the floor and out of the way. I have spinning reels on my trolling rods and make it work, so if you go with baitcasters it ought to work even better. Hope this helps.
    Man this is very similar to my situation for sure. The rod rack I’m getting is gonna be channel mount just like ur setup. Glad to see someone else out there making a duck boat work for crappie fishing haha.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast