Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crappie in Shock

Post Thanks / Like

Default Crappie in Shock

Since I started fishing a different lake I've noticed something strange with the Crappie that I've caught.

Probably 90% of the time that I catch and release a fish from this lake, I toss them back in the water and they just float on the surface with their mouth open, like they're in shock.

I have to grab and swim them around a little, sometimes push them down a foot or so and they'll swim off.

Today I even had one come unbuttoned near the boat, he went into shock and floated right to the surface.

Is it something to do with their swim bladder? The fish aren't that deep, 15-20 feet down in 50 fow.

None have been gill hooked or otherwise hurt.

I do not play the fish that much, have to horse them out fairly quick so they don't wrap me up in tree limbs.

It's got me a little bit puzzled, I have caught fish from similar depths before (although the water wasn't as cold) and not had them act like this.
    Last edited by Atimm693; 02-23-2018 at 08:28 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I think they do go into a shock state, I normally spider rig pushing and basically lift them out without much of a fight. I noticed by just releasing them some will just float and stay that way. I started to kind of slam them on their side while releasing and they all swim off, guess that wakes them up from shock.

Post Thanks / Like

I have had this happen also, always in the winter time. I believe it is due to the cold water temperatures. The fish are suspending in the most comfortable water temp. This time of the year the upper water column is can be colder than where the fish are holding, so yes they do stun a bit. Holding them in the live well for a bit they usually adjust after few minutes then toss them back.
    Likes Crestliner08 LIKED above post

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Windjinx View Post
    Holding them in the live well for a bit they usually adjust after few minutes then toss them back.
    Not sure I'd be doing that to undersized fish, as it may be hard to get the C.O. checking you to believe your story.
    Likes Crappiedayz LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1989loweprojon View Post
    I started to kind of slam them on their side while releasing and they all swim off, guess that wakes them up from shock.
    https://youtu.be/UTD8hiuPS0s

This video talks about doing exactly that for cold water crappie

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com
    Likes Blackjeepjk LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Walt & I have had this problem occasionally as well. Great video! Will definitely have to give it a try. Thanks for the post!
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

Bringing the crappie up from 20' or more fast does it. If I do not want the fish, I sort of slap him on the water, it works. they revive and swim back down.

Post Thanks / Like

Just because they try to swim off from slapping them down doesn't mean they'll stay down. Some do but some don't. I've had better luck holding them by the tail and dropping them straight down. Sometimes it takes a few times but you'll actually see the fish release the air bubbles and swim quickly straight down and stay down.

Post Thanks / Like

I see fish from depths around 20 foot deep or deeper act that way sometimes in the winter months . I think its likely a combination of things shocking them , with the "bends" and the temp. change and etc . ....one thing for certain if there are any birds around some wont ever go back down , I do know that much
    sum kawl me tha outlaw ketchn whales

Post Thanks / Like

Saw that in the fall, small fish from 30ft came up stiff, 11 in and larger no problem.
    If I brought them up slower they were fine

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast