HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Titelok Capps&Coleman Holder Problems

Post Thanks / Like

Default Titelok Capps&Coleman Holder Problems

I've had my capps & Coleman's for a few months now and love the ease of adjustment. Don't have a problem with them being moved by fish, but when the wind kicks up and hits my 16' rods from the side or the front it tries to blow all the rods left or right in that direction. I've tightened the black wingnut on top as tight as I can and they still do it. About ready to go back to a T-bar. Anyone else had this problem?Name:  IMG_2834.jpg
Views: 1411
Size:  100.8 KB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jigfisherx is offline Crappie.com 1K Star General, MO Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Get some thick rubber washers

God bless Charlie Brewer and Bobby Garland.

Post Thanks / Like

if you decide to sell them soon let me know
    All men are created equal, some work harder in the preseason.
    Thanks to BnM PST, Midsouth Jig, Big River Marina

Swampseed is offline Crappie.com 1K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry can't answer your question but would like to know being you have them on a track on floor do all poles shake when you get a hit pn one?? I have heard that when on a track it's like a reverse t-bar rod holder. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

RK1...Installed same C&C rod holders on my War Eagle Predator 861 and they are very easy to adjust. The problem I had on my first fishing trip with the new holders was as I was landing a fish on the far right pole, the far left pole got hung up on something and rotated left and pulled the rod out of the holder. I spider rig at about 0.5 - 0.6 mph. I had tightened the base very tight and the rod holder was tight. Lost a new 16' Capps & Coleman B&M pole and a baitcaster (I did not know the B&M poles wouldn't float). When I got back home, I put a rod in the left (port) rod holder and tightened the base and the rod holder very tight. I went to the end of the 16' pole and put a lot of pressure on it trying to recreate the hang up. The B&M pole withstood the pressure and rotated the rod holder. I discovered the problem was the vertical shaft. The vertical shaft had loosened because of the direction of the threads at the bottom of the shaft where it screws into the base. I did the same experiment on the right side and the vertical shaft did not move. I really like the rod holders because of the ease of adjusting them and the lack of vibration to the other holders when you catch a fish. I'm still looking for a solution....dave
    Last edited by davebrown42; 02-11-2018 at 10:10 AM.
    "Everyone should believe in something;
    I believe I'll go fishing." ...H.D. Thoreau

Proud Member of
    TEAM GEEZER

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

RK, get in touch with titelock and explain your problem. I remember seeing a write up on those. Something about the bases. Seems they did a redesign to stop that problem. You may have gotten a set built before then and we're still in stock. If you have problems with them talk to BRM and you might PM Ree's Guide, I know he had a set he had that problem with and they did something for him.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

Don't they have right and left handed threads to prevent the holders from spinning? If your using right handed threads on the left side, they unscrew when force is applied in the counter-clockwise rotation. Which is the direction they would rotate on the left side.
    HOI Crappie Club
    Where family and friends come to compete for a little more than bragging rights.

Quick, someone teach me how to fish so I can win this tournament!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I not aware that TiteLok offers different thread directions for the holders where they screw into the base. Was not mentioned when I ordered them from Grizzly Jig. I think what you said about right and left handed threads might solve the problem....There must be a solution out there... my installation can't be the first time it has occurred.
    "Everyone should believe in something;
    I believe I'll go fishing." ...H.D. Thoreau

Proud Member of
    TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

They don't have different thread directions, I saw a picture where someone had replaced the black wingnut on top with an Allen head bolt. I may give that a try and be able to really crank down on them with a wrench.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by davebrown42 View Post
    I discovered the problem was the vertical shaft. The vertical shaft had loosened because of the direction of the threads at the bottom of the shaft where it screws into the base. I did the same experiment on the right side and the vertical shaft did not move. I really like the rod holders because of the ease of adjusting them and the lack of vibration to the other holders when you catch a fish. I'm still looking for a solution....dave
    Some red (permanent) thread locker will solve this problem.

RK1 as far as the top holder turning I would send Big River Marine a PM and asked what he did to remedy his issue, it was something to do with replacing the washer and screw. I haven't had any issues with mine like that yet, of course I haven't fished in really windy situations yet either.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast