HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just a good morning

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Just a good morning

Wasn't going to hook up last night until I saw what the wind was going to do. The weather liars have done it to me too many times for me to believe them. Like many of us, my body clock doesn't let me sleep late after answering the alarm at 0430 every weekday. So......true to form I roll out of the rack at just after 4 and sit around watching the weather and radar. The wind forecast was to be good until after 10. Heck, that's plenty of time for me to have some fun and not fight the 20 mph winds that we've had for the past few days. About 0630 I get moving and roll out of the drive right at 7, p/u an everything bagel, toasted with butter from the best bagel shop in Florida, and drive the 3 miles to the river. Dropped in, and ran to my favorite spot for the past month.

Slow to start, but absolutely breathless. The wildlife was just waking up and all the birds came to visit, and a few small fish was all I found. Kept after it and turned up a nice crappie about 8 1/2", and after a thank you and a compliment of being the biggest fish so far, back he went. Nothing to speak of for the next hour or so but I did stay busy enough with the undersized of the neighborhood. I worked my way around to a pile of buck brush that has given up a few fish on past trips so I set up and shot up under everything for the first try at it. I got a reward of a good thump and another crappie, this one 10" measured, and back he went. Where there's one you can only hope for more, right? Still using the 2lb Nanofil outfit and a 1/64 jig and a blue thunder Itty Bitty Swimmer, I sent it back in to check for neighbors. It slides past the brush and I slowed the retrieve and got another thump, but this one was different. Snap the wrist and set the hook and the rod stops. Cold. About to use a few colorful words cuz I was sure I was snagged. Then the snag moved. OH BOY!!. I was real glad she was in open water cuz there wasn't much I could do but hold on and hope. I haven't had a fish this size on any rod in a while, and this was just plain fun! Got her out in the open a bit more and reached for the net and then I got a good look at her, and I was pleased. Not a bad mark and swollen with roe, it was just about her time. A trip to the golden rule and the scale ( right on 1.5lbs and a sneeze under 13") and I put her in the box, but not for long. As slow as it had been, I didn't see the sense of putting the knife to her by herself, and I didn't have much time left. Scooped her back out and said goodbye until another day. Fooled around with some more and got a few that while good, wouldn't have made the invite to dinner. Worked my way back to where Camryn got her nice gill last week and there's a downed tree. I set up and waited til I could get the shot I wanted and with the wind now building fast, I made it count. The little jig didn't fall but a few inches and the line twitched and I set the hook. Another fish that I couldn't do much with, but this one had a copper streak across the forehead. Another impressive fish that was heavy enough to pull the drag when I tried to lift it in the boat. A picture on the golden rule, a solid 9" with shoulders, and back he went. Big smile by now. I turned the boat to the opposite shore where something was swirling and feeding on the surface. Got set up and pitched in and low and behold, they were crappie. No giants or even keepers mind you. but I caught another 10 out of there. Now the wind was telling me I was overstaying my welcome so I wrapped up and headed out, it was just after 11. Total catch was over 30 with almost all being too short, but I had a real good time.

The Crappiemasters was going on today and I saw several of the boats, and talked with a gent from Arkansas as he put in this morning. Several others passed as I made my way to my spot. All I could offer was greeting and good wishes cuz I haven't caught a good crappie in quite a while. Fish close to 3lbs have been weighed in and all I can say is "Where are they when I'm fishing?" Here's hoping that everyone finishes safe. The loss of the fisherman in the tournament on Okeechobee a few weeks back has been on my mind this week with the wind being 20+. These shallow lakes are unforgiving in high winds, good boat or not.

Took a few pics with one being a baby lizard that was unbothered by me being within 25 feet or so. Not yet 3' I'm sure he was getting warmed up and looking for a snack. Thanks for going along with me today, and I hope your next trip is sooner rather than later. Til next time......Skeet
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

Great read. Congrats
    Thanks skeetbum thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Couple of beautiful fish.

Regards

Sent from my iPad using Crappie.com

Post Thanks / Like

Glad you were able to get out today. Thanks for the report.
    Yes, as a matter of fact, I do have a retirement plan...FISHING!

Post Thanks / Like

Wow! That's some nice ones for sure.
    Be safe and good luck fishing

Post Thanks / Like

Nice report,sounds like a good time.

Post Thanks / Like

I'll give you a big "Attaboy" for this great post in here and again when Slab posts this on the home page!
    Well done sir!

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Good report Skeet.....raining and windy all day today so did not get to get out

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Thanks skeetbum, chimneyman thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Great fish!
    If we did what was most important in life there would be a shortage of Bibles.................and fishing poles

Post Thanks / Like

Excellent read, thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Crappie.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast