Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brushpile question...

Post Thanks / Like

Default Brushpile question...

It's that time of year and I'm ready to set some brush.But I got a question that has bugged me as of late.I know that you weight the bottom of your brushpile to make it stay down and I know you put a plastic bottle or the like tied to the top to keep it buoyant.My question is this , if your'e setting a big pile say 15' tall or so and it is comprised of a heavy wood say oak , is it neccessary to use more than one bottle to keep it upright?I know a 2 liter pepsi bottle under water is trying really hard to get to the top , but will it support that much weight?I plan to put in some work soon to insure some better fishing in the future but want to make sure I get it right the first time.I have set piles in the past but they have always been the christmas tree variety , and there aint much to that.Thanks for any reply....E.
    Commercial fishermen help feed the world.

Post Thanks / Like

Can't you just use a big pail and fill the bottom with cement or is it too big for that?
    I won't be at work........I'm feelin' crappie today!
    ><)))*>

Post Thanks / Like

I use 2 8inch blocks and ty them together with the holes showing.then put a limb or tree in each hole and ty them in. I just ease them in the water and hold the top and they stand up no problem.The only thing is put them next to the drop not on the drop.The best trees for me are as follows dogwood,oak,wildcherry and pine.Nut trees are not good.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Thanks for the replies..

How big are the trees you are using for piles.I keep reading that it is best to have them 10-15' above the bottom.That in mind I dont think I can get a 10-15' section of oak or any hardwood to stand by itself and expect it to stay there.Weighting it down is not an issue for me I want it to stand upright and tall as possible.I dont think people meant to have it hover that far above the bottom but if they did , this too would require buoyancy.Thanks again for the replies.
    Commercial fishermen help feed the world.

Post Thanks / Like

You can,t use anything over 4 inchs around,you use 4 limbs or trees as long as they will fit in the holes.they will stand up,if u wanted to put a bottle in the top u could,but i have put in several hundred over the last several years and they stand. Now i stand on this statementLOL.

Post Thanks / Like

i usually put around three 2 litre bottles bottles in the top of each brush i put out that i want to float the tops upright
    listen with your eyes---its the only way to beleive what you hear...

Post Thanks / Like

Hi rango.How did the stripers bite? The way im saying works good for me,i thinkwhen the blocks hit the bottom they suck to the mud.There is usualy muck on the bottom.I fish vertical and never anchor.I think if u dropped a anchor in brush at least at first u could turn my brush over,but not after it settled in .There is more than one way to skin a cat,but i like my method very well.

Post Thanks / Like

yeah rounman, methods for puttin out brush piles is about as varied as the many different ways to crappie fish. everyone has his own way and what he things works best. thats why frequeting these boards is so interesting. theres so many different ways to do something that youre always learning something new and interesting.

Post Thanks / Like

I have seen some pretty awesome fish attractors made out of PVC now too.....un-real some of the stuff you can do with that!!! And it will last forever just about....takes a little longer for it to start attracting......but, it will last a lot longer too...
    I won't be at work........I'm feelin' crappie today!
    ><)))*>

Post Thanks / Like

Ive seen some photos on the main board of some pvc brush piles folks have made. they look like theyd make good ones if a man had acess to some free pvc. If he had to buy all that stuff to make em out of, it would probably get expensive. looks like in the next few weeks ill be puttin some good old time brush in the water.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast