PDA

View Full Version : Johnson Controls buys Humminbird and own's Min-Kota

Moose1am
01-24-2005, 03:36 PM
Not sure if you all are aware of this but Humminbird was purchased by Johonson Controls. Johnson also owns the Min-kota trolling motor company as well as Scuba Pro scuba diving gear.

I found this information on the www.humminbird.com (http://www.humminbird.com) web site and was going to post it last week but forgot.

So if you own a Min-Kota Trolling motor or are thinking about getting a new Min-kota you might also check out the Humminbird depth sounders later this year or next. The autopilot on the Min-Kotas may be designed in the future to work best with the humminbird Matrix 47 that can see things in three dimentions on the bottom by using multiple focued sonar beams. They use an array of beams going in different directions. Each beam is 17 deg or so and the focus of each beam is moved 40 times per second which gives a very short Pulse lenght 1/40= 25 one thousands of a second pulse lenght at maximum.

I hope that they can combine the three D information from the depth sounders into the Auto Pilot to make it track a depth contour better in the future. Look Maw NO Hands!

Barnacle Bill
01-24-2005, 04:19 PM
I sent Min-Kota an E-mail a couple of weeks ago and asked them if they were planning on coming out with a trolling motor like the old Pinpoints or new Motorguides that will keep you in a certain depth, channel or so far from a shore. They said no, but anything is possible in the future.

FalconSmitty
01-25-2005, 02:07 AM
i would love to have a motor that keeps me at a certain depth and speed. That would make trolling more precise. Even I could stay at the right depth. I have a very hard time following the breakline.

FalconSmitty
01-25-2005, 02:13 AM
Moose,
I live right up the road from where Tom Mann put together the Humminbird company. He is a local legend. I have met and spoke with him at the Tom Mann Museum of Bass Fishing in Eufaula Alabama. His first compant Mann's jellyworms made a 12 and 14 inch classic plastic worm. Folks laughed at it but I always caught the bigger bass. Not as many, but bigger.

Mann is a good man.

FalconSmitty
01-25-2005, 02:20 AM
you might like this.
mann's fishworld (http://www.roadsideamerica.com/pet/leroy.html)

unknown 5
01-25-2005, 08:42 AM
I look for them to hook the GPS, fishfinder, and trolling motor all into 1 unit. You just motor in close to the area then let the unit find the area you want to fish. It may be a year or 2 but I will bet someone puts it all together.

Barnacle Bill
01-25-2005, 09:43 AM
i would love to have a motor that keeps me at a certain depth and speed. That would make trolling more precise. Even I could stay at the right depth. I have a very hard time following the breakline.

I have been trying to find out if these are repackaged Pinpoints or new technology.

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catalog.TextId?hvarTextId=52762&hvarDept=200&hvarEvent=&hvarClassCode=2&hvarSubCode=1&hvarTarget=browse

Moose1am
01-25-2005, 03:04 PM
That was a good article. Thanks for sharing the link and a good story.

I have a lot of respect for Tom Mann.

I chased the Largemouth bass all my life and still enjoy catching them.

8 years is a long time. He must have taken great care with him over those years.

you might like this.
mann's fishworld (http://www.roadsideamerica.com/pet/leroy.html)

Moose1am
01-25-2005, 04:40 PM
The key is the new digital electronic circuit board inside the epoxy and also the FIVE transducers built INSIDE the trolling motor housing. Never heard of the old unit's have five transducers before but then again I didn't really read up on them so they could have been there and I just was not aware of it. That is very possible.

How long have the digital circuits been used in the trolling motors? That may be the key to whether it's a rebuilt unit or a new unit of some kind. I think the digital circuity is fairly new to the market but how new I don't really remember

Might visit the Motorguide web site and check that out. Didn't MotorGuide get bought out by Mercury? I have a motor guide trolling motor that lasted me 25 years and now have gone ot the Min-Kota and hope I made the right choice. I like the new powerful unit but it's got some things that I don't really like and would change if I could. But that is due to my boat and the way my boat is designed. My boat trolling motor mounting area was made for the older smaller motors and props and this new motor is just a bit big for my smaller boat. I got it locally and could not find the motorguide model that I wanted here on the shelf.

I have been trying to find out if these are repackaged Pinpoints or new technology.

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catalog.TextId?hvarTextId=52762&hvarDept=200&hvarEvent=&hvarClassCode=2&hvarSubCode=1&hvarTarget=browse

Barnacle Bill
01-25-2005, 04:54 PM
Yep, Mercury owns Motor Guide which owns Pinpoint. That is why I was wondering about the repackaging deal. I use to have one of the cheaper Pinpoints. I loved the features, but not the problems. You might have something there about it being all digital and all.

Larry-Southern Indiana
01-25-2005, 07:45 PM
Lowrance, Minn Kota and Mercury ain't number uno by accident Moose. Check out the new depth finders with 640X480 pixtels. That's what I want for my boat. The definition is very very good. That's twice the pixtels I'm running now with my X-75's. I'll take one of those with GPS built in anyday. Saving my pennies in my special stash for one everyday. If I work the overtime this year like I did last year I'll have one before summer. I missed out on alot of good spring fishing working all the time last year. Wouldn't mind working less this year especially from march till june.

Larry

Moose1am
01-25-2005, 08:07 PM
Larry:
As much time as you spend working you deserve to get the best and be happy.

The more pixels per inch the more resolution that is for sure. I should have got a new depth finder instead of bying this computer tablet but it's too late to take it back now.

Check out the new Humminbird Matrix 47D. I am very interested in it and want to know more about how it works. I like the idea of knowing what is all around my boat not just what's directly under the boat.

Picture this. You have a flashlight that can shine it's light in a narrow beam thought the water to the bottom of Patoka Lake. Shine the light straight down from the trolling motor using the narrow beam of light and you can see a brush pile that you are right over the top off. Now swing the beam over about 6 deg and take a look at what the light shows now. Repeat this procedure to each side about three times once ever 1/40 of a second and then assemble all those images on a computer screen that shows the bottom in 3D Three Dimentions. LWH. Now does that sound like something you would like to see? Now take the same flashlight and swing it forward 6 deg and then another 6 deg and then another 6 deg and then swing it back 6 deg past vertical and then 6 more deg past that toward the rear of the boat. Remember that each beam of light is very narrow and only shows a small portion of the bottom. I think the cone angle is only 17 deg which is very close to what your Lowrence X75 uses. The computer builds up a three dimentional view of the bottom ALL AROUND your boat. In theory is sounds very good to me. I need to know if it works in real life though. Sounds good but I want to try it before I buy it. If you know what I mean.

Will include a picture to show you want I am talking about.

Lowrance, Minn Kota and Mercury ain't number uno by accident Moose. Check out the new depth finders with 640X480 pixtels. That's what I want for my boat. The definition is very very good. That's twice the pixtels I'm running now with my X-75's. I'll take one of those with GPS built in anyday. Saving my pennies in my special stash for one everyday. If I work the overtime this year like I did last year I'll have one before summer. I missed out on alot of good spring fishing working all the time last year. Wouldn't mind working less this year especially from march till june.

Larry

Moose1am
01-25-2005, 08:12 PM
Basically in this picture the sonar's sound waves are manipulated to go in a new direction very very very fast. A single ping is sent out in a narrow cone and then another ping is sent out but offset just a few degrees from the last ping. several different pings are sent out in a very short period of time. One ping every 0.025 seconds or every 25/1000 of a second. 40 pings per second are scanning the bottom of the lake around the boat.

What this should allow you to do is find that brush pile or bamboo bucket faster. Why. Well say your about 20ft to the South of where the brush pile is located. Your regular depth finders may not show that brush pile until you motor right over the top of it. If you are off by 10 to 20 feet you can't see it on your graph. But with the 3 D you can see it off to one side of your boat. See the first diagram with the picture of the boat and the past history of where the boat went and the fish locations. You can even tell that the brush pile is off to the right. Then all you have to do is turn to the right and go right to the brush pile. If this works like I hope then it will save a lot of time in zeroing in on a brush pile. I see this as better than using a wide cone angled transducer because with this you can tell which way to go to get to the brush pile. Now a wide coned sound wave may show you a brush pile but you won''t have a clue on which way it's located. See my other discussion on how depth sounders work and the errors that can occur. ie what we think it shows and what it really shows.

Here is another view