HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trolling Crankbaits All Summer Long

Post Thanks / Like

Default Trolling Crankbaits All Summer Long

Name:  Mitch Glenn holding up a crappie.jpg
Views: 1883
Size:  53.7 KB
    It’s sizzling hot outside. The lake feels like bath tub water, but that’s not going to stop you from crappie fishing. In fact, you have had a pretty good time catching crappie all summer long trolling crankbaits.

Truth is it comes as no surprise to crappie anglers everywhere that have mastered the technique of trolling crankbaits. Mitch Glenn, owner of Pico Fishing Lures, would be one of those anglers loving the summer months just because it’s a great time to catch crappie on crankbaits.

Elevated water temperatures seem to be the one common factor when it comes to catching crappie trolling in the summertime. In a recent trip with Glenn trolling crankbaits, he explained how crappie like to position on the breakline between the flats and the old river channel when feeding on baitfish. The breakline turned out to be where we caught most of the crappie trolling.

Glenn likes to push two Pico INT crankbaits (PICO Lures) with B’n’M Poles Capps & Coleman Series Trolling Rods (B'n'M Fishing) in the front holders while pulling two Pico INT crankbaits with another two B’n’M Poles Trolling Rods in the other two rod holders. He will use the same four rod set up on the other side of the bow and utilize the longest rods in the front holder till he gets to the smallest length rod in the back holder. By doing this set up, Glenn can keep his crankbaits separated and from tangling.

Name:  Scott Vance 3 ounce weight for pushing crankbaits.jpg
Views: 2723
Size:  65.3 KB
    A thermocline at 20 feet had the crappie and baitfish shallow mostly in the 7- to 12-foot depth range. Glenn rigged up the pulling rods with crankbaits while letting out between 70- to 40-feet of line to cover the 10- to 12-foot range. On the pushing rods, Glenn utilized a Scott Vance 3-ounce pushing weight letting out the pushing rods 10- to 12-foot of line to target the 7- to 9-foot range.

Speed is the key to catching crappie when trolling. Glenn uses an electric trolling motor to control his speed. Normally, Glenn will go from 1.6- to 2.2-mph targeting where the electronics are showing images of crappie and baitfish.

What color of crankbait always seems to be a hot topic between anglers. “The colors of Pico INT crankbaits actually came from feedback from many of the members of www.crappie.com website. So, we know these are popular color patterns, but more importantly they catch crappie,” said Glenn.

Name:  Mitch Glenn with Pico Fishing Lures holding up the INT crankbaits.jpg
Views: 2102
Size:  61.0 KB
    He uses bright colored crankbaits on bluebird sky days with lots of sunshine. Glenn uses the Pico INT pinks colored crankbait patterns and white shad colored Pico INT crankbait patterns to match the schools of baitfish in the area. Early in the morning, late evening or on cloudy days, Glenn will also use red colored Pico INT crankbaits patterned crankbaits imitating crawfish or bream when trolling for crappie in the summertime.

One thing Glenn mentioned about crankbaits is tuning them if they don’t run straight. “Pico INT crankbaits always run true out of the package. By that I mean straight and not running to the left or right. Of course any crankbait can start running off center if bumped so many times into cover or structure. To correct that and to tune the crankbait, I will take pliers and move the eye-tie slightly the opposite direction the crankbait is running and vice-versa,” said Glenn.

Trolling crankbaits in the summertime is a numbers game. Glenn noted that you will catch lots of crappie in the summertime although some of the crappie will not be big, you will catch crappie trolling crankbaits all summer long.

- by Brad Wiegmann

https://youtu.be/MFtGyWrvMvY

Owner
    "Wear your PFD" "No texting n driving" slab
    Crappie.com members are the best
    Thanks Billbob thanked you for this post

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Good job Mitch....PICO.....and BnM.....and ScottV trolling weights......me and Scotty taught you well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    Last edited by "G"; 08-28-2017 at 09:12 AM.
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Likes Pico, hdhntr LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Yes you guys did! Y'all the best in the business

Sent from my XT1585 using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    -We don't need no stinkin' minners!--

www.picolures.com
    Likes "G" LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Wow! Great video. Thanks for sharing the PICO crank bait and "how to" information.
    Be safe and good luck fishing
    Likes "G", Pico LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome article and video. Pico, a name to remember!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    ScottV's Custom Crappie Cranks
    Crankbait Pushing Weights

M R Dux is offline Crappie.com Legend , 2018 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

When Mitch contacted me about his new venture, I told him straight out I would not endorse a product I didn't use and believe in. After running some of his prototype INT cranks, I found them to be a real crappie killer here on KY and Barkley Lakes. Arrow straight out of the box and slightly deeper running than the more popular brands. I've also found Mitch to be a fisherman first and businessman second. He keeps his ears open to suggestions for colors, patterns, and bait styles he doesn't have in the product catalog yet. My KY Lake secret weapon will be in his catalog soon.

Thanks for the video. I do beg to differ with one statement in the text of the thread that says you will catch crappie on cranks all summer long. I have been running them recently when the water temps hit low 60s until they cool back down to low 60s. Here that normally means April -October or even later. I guess technically all summer falls into the middle of the period I run and catch a lot of crappie on cranks. The late fall bite also produces many of the biggest crappie we will catch all year. Putting the cranks up too soon is a bad move.
    www.crappie-gills-n-more.com
    Podunk Ideas Pro Staff /test platform
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Excel Boats Pro Staff
    Likes Pico, ScottV, "G", rebranger LIKED above post

Billbob is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2013 Guber Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

great video

Crappie.com Pro Staff
    Guber Pro Staff
    Cane Pole Pro Staff
    Haulin Ash Pro Staff
    Likes Pico, "G" LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Nice read!

Post Thanks / Like

Great video and post, I really have enjoyed my Pico's. Haven't had to tune them so far and had no problems catching fish with em.
    Likes jackie53, Pico LIKED above post

jackie53 is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Slab,Mitch,Brad to some great products. Designing lures By Fisherman For Fishermen.Thanks Again.
    John 3:16
    Blessed to have as many friends as fingers on your hand is a blessing!!!
    "Gone fish'n not wish'n"
    In God We Trust.
    Can God trust us.
    Likes Pico, "G" LIKED above post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast