Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Who said BASS?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Who said BASS?

You all know Walt & I like to drift for our favorite species, the crappie. Pretty hard to do when the water is dead calm and temps near 90 degrees! We've also had a deluge of rain and lousy weather as of late, so when today presented itself as a possibility, We decided to try for our "second" favorite species, the smallmouth bass.

Launched around 7:50 am on the main body of the Quabbin Reservoir. She's about 20 miles long and about 5 miles wide in spots. The "Q" is a water reservoir for our state's capital, Boston. So it's been "nit & tuck" trying to fight for our rights to continue fishing her. But I digress.....

Water temp was in the mid 70's with the air approaching 90 degrees by noon. Tough for us old geezers! We ended up calling it around 1:30 pm. Just could not take the heat. We tried about 4 our "standard" off-shore structures, looking mainly for bait fish. We don't search for bass. We search mainly for bait. Once found, we stop and cast various lures and drop shots until we hit a section of structure that gives us some promise. (Just like with crappie fishing, we do things differently!)

This is what the morning presented itself to us with:

Name:  Starting Out.jpg
Views: 239
Size:  45.0 KB

Remember I told you we look for bait.....well while vertical jigging blade baits in 32' of water, I caught this frisky hunk of meat that some smallie will love to chomp on:

Name:  Caught Bait_2.jpg
Views: 233
Size:  171.2 KB

They surely do love to munch on yearling yellow perch. Did we "slay" 'em today? Hardly. But for not having done much bass fishing in last season or this, we did OK. All were "cookie cutter" size - about 2 to 2 1/2 lbs.. No giants, but respectable. We lost a few and here are some of our fish that we boated (and released unharmed):

Name:  Rich_1.jpg
Views: 237
Size:  150.8 KB

Name:  Walt_1.jpg
Views: 234
Size:  165.3 KB

Name:  Rich_2.jpg
Views: 192
Size:  153.1 KB

All in all a very pretty day! Just a tad too hot for my tastes. Calm conditions such as we experienced are fine, as long as the temp is in the upper 70's to low 80's. This was brutal. Which is why we called it early. Suppose to rain just about everyday this coming week now! Not sure when we'll get out again after our beloved crappie. But you can bet that if the opportunity presents itself, we'll be there!
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."
    Likes pineplace LIKED above post

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

As always...Enjoyed the report and the pictures guys
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Post Thanks / Like

Good report and hope you get to keep fishing rights.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crestliner08 View Post
    You all know Walt & I like to drift for our favorite species, the crappie. Pretty hard to do when the water is dead calm and temps near 90 degrees! We've also had a deluge of rain and lousy weather as of late, so when today presented itself as a possibility, We decided to try for our "second" favorite species, the smallmouth bass.

Launched around 7:50 am on the main body of the Quabbin Reservoir. She's about 20 miles long and about 5 miles wide in spots. The "Q" is a water reservoir for our state's capital, Boston. So it's been "nit & tuck" trying to fight for our rights to continue fishing her. But I digress.....

Water temp was in the mid 70's with the air approaching 90 degrees by noon. Tough for us old geezers! We ended up calling it around 1:30 pm. Just could not take the heat. We tried about 4 our "standard" off-shore structures, looking mainly for bait fish. We don't search for bass. We search mainly for bait. Once found, we stop and cast various lures and drop shots until we hit a section of structure that gives us some promise. (Just like with crappie fishing, we do things differently!)

This is what the morning presented itself to us with:

Name:  Starting Out.jpg
Views: 239
Size:  45.0 KB

Remember I told you we look for bait.....well while vertical jigging blade baits in 32' of water, I caught this frisky hunk of meat that some smallie will love to chomp on:

Name:  Caught Bait_2.jpg
Views: 233
Size:  171.2 KB

They surely do love to munch on yearling yellow perch. Did we "slay" 'em today? Hardly. But for not having done much bass fishing in last season or this, we did OK. All were "cookie cutter" size - about 2 to 2 1/2 lbs.. No giants, but respectable. We lost a few and here are some of our fish that we boated (and released unharmed):

Name:  Rich_1.jpg
Views: 237
Size:  150.8 KB

Name:  Walt_1.jpg
Views: 234
Size:  165.3 KB

Name:  Rich_2.jpg
Views: 192
Size:  153.1 KB

All in all a very pretty day! Just a tad too hot for my tastes. Calm conditions such as we experienced are fine, as long as the temp is in the upper 70's to low 80's. This was brutal. Which is why we called it early. Suppose to rain just about everyday this coming week now! Not sure when we'll get out again after our beloved crappie. But you can bet that if the opportunity presents itself, we'll be there!
    ![/QUOTE]
    never caught a small mouth. i hear their more tenacious than large mouth. enjoyed the report and hope yall's weather improves. been wet down here too.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by murdok View Post
    !
    never caught a small mouth. i hear their more tenacious than large mouth.[/QUOTE]

You heard correctly. No largemouth has the tenacity of a smallie. Really tough, hard fighters. Love them "brown bass"!
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."
    Likes "G" LIKED above post