HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hot Day on Crappie with PICO Lures Crankbaits.

cevans is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Hot Day on Crappie with PICO Lures Crankbaits.

I cleaned 19 crappie in 91 degree sun this afternoon and caught them on Lake Lemmon, water temp was 82 and very stained to very muddy in parts of the lake. Trolling speed was 1.6 to 1.8 in 10-16 ft. of water using the new PICO Crankbait Lures and these new crankbaits run alittle deeper than a Bandit by 2-3 ft as near as I can determine. Hot colors were Zombie, Wolverine, Smokie Shad, and Crankbait Mudbug. Smokie Shad also nailed 6 lg. mouth bass to 3lbs besides crappies 10 to 13 inches is what I kept out of 60 or more before quitting at noon. Pic is fish on ice. Enjoy.

PICO Lures | Top Water Lures | Freshwater Lures | Saltwater Lures If you don't find the colors, check back as everybody on the main forum is buying them as fast as they can be manufactured as PICO Lures is a new sponsor of crappie.com.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    authorized by: Billbob and "G"
    Thanks INCrappie, Billbob thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Here is a link of the colors available as of now with a lot more colors to come.
    Fishing Lures | Top Water Lures | Freshwater Lures | Saltwater Lures

Post Thanks / Like

good slabs man

hope to get out tomorrow night, for our first night bite of the summer.

Billbob is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2013 Guber Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

they work good

Crappie.com Pro Staff
    Guber Pro Staff
    Cane Pole Pro Staff
    Haulin Ash Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

I like big knot head crappie.

Sent from my Z959 using Tapatalk
    HAND TIED CRAPPIE JIGS CRAPPIECOLLECTORS JIGS

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CRAPPIECOL...g_id=515350944

Post Thanks / Like

Cevans, Im new to this topic, Im an avid fisherman ad time permits, taking a very special interest in crappies, I live only 40 minutes from monroe lake, I fished this spring in May, caught several small ones while the water was up but couldn't buy a bite on larger ones, throwing everything but the kitchen sink, would like to try trolling, if you dont mind im gonna ask a silly question, but how do you troll for these rascals....thanks for any responses....Dan

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dklakamp View Post
    Cevans, Im new to this topic, Im an avid fisherman ad time permits, taking a very special interest in crappies, I live only 40 minutes from monroe lake, I fished this spring in May, caught several small ones while the water was up but couldn't buy a bite on larger ones, throwing everything but the kitchen sink, would like to try trolling, if you dont mind im gonna ask a silly question, but how do you troll for these rascals....thanks for any responses....Dan

No question is a silly question when it comes to fishing. Pulling cranks and trolling has been around along time. I learned to troll rapala for walleye in 73 or 74 when I bought a Objibway Indian a beer in Lac Seoul, Ontario and he took me fishing and showed me some fine points on catching walleyes over 8 lbs. Had a boat rigged for Lake Michigan and Erie and chased those fish when it was in its glorie days and still great fishing today. But here on crappie.com it really took off when the Mississippi fishermen created "Pulling Cranks 101". Read it! It will take a while, I call it the holy grail of crankbaiting and it's a really great read on the many years of experimenting and refining trolling for crappies with crankbaits. When trolling "cranks" and even "jigs" you can catch every fish species that swims also. But, if you target crappies with Bandit 200's and 300's, Arlie 350's, and the new PICO crankbaits, the right way, you will catch crappie. You will also find out, trolling cranks and jigs is also a easy way to find schools of fish. Then stop and cast if you want into the fish you have found. When reading "pulling cranks 101" you will also find, that the some of the tackle developed for that style of trolling, is used for crappies. Reels with line counters, some guys using lead core weighted line, and planer boards as well as the book, "the trollers bible". Now everybody is using a app that has an immense bunch of crankbaits in using 10lb test mono or braid, at 1.6 to 1.8 mph will give you the precise amount of line to let out telling you at what depth that particular crankbait will run. "Precision Trolling App" can be downloaded and will cost you but worth it in my book for all fish trolled. With the depthfinders using Side Imagining, Hi definition down imagining as well as standard sonar showing us the bottom, structure, brushpies, and the fish, the target is defined to you, and all you have to do is troll right thru,them.

To sum this up for you, I use Okuma line counter reels. You can also get a cheaper reel by Shakespear or the best Diawia makes one also. You can use 6lb test in mono. I use 20lb power pro yellow braid which has no stretch and is the same diameter as 6 lb mono, trolling speed is 1.6 to as much as 2.4 but I do better at 1.6 to 2.0. I am old school, and still use topo maps besides my map cards in my SI HDI depth finders. Hot Maps makes great maps of contours of the lakes. Google them.

Bandit Chart

Arlie Pushing chart for crankbaits

Both charts are made at 1.6 mph using 6lb or equilivant line. Sorry I don't have the arkie pulling chart but the bandit is all but close and also about the same.

Read Pulling Crankbaits 101..... http://www.crappie.com/crappie/missi...-cranks-101-a/

Ask any question any time here or on the main crappie forum as any question is always a good question and someone has a answer to help you out. This is what the forum was designed for and is all about catching fish.
    cevans

Post Thanks / Like

Charts again,
    Name:  Bandit Chart.jpg
Views: 11116
Size:  41.2 KBName:  Arkie Pushing Chart.png
Views: 1434
Size:  128.4 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Sir, thank you so much, you are well educated on this, I very much respect your time and wealth of knowledge. I will post my profile and personal experiences as I use this information, working for the Postal Service limits some of my time for fishing, but I plan on putting most of some time away for these crappies, its a burning desire of mine on studying and fishing for this exceptional species. Thanks Again for the Information.

Likes Redge LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

check out the Mississippi forum as well as the main forum of Crappie.com. Its all a learning experience from other fishermen, as I am still learning myself and will always learn even at 67.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast