Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Spawning?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Spawning?

I caught a crappie last weekend that had eggs in it, they were orange and vibrant like the ones I caught in during the spawn in April/May. The lake is at most 25 foot deep and maybe 300 acres. How could this be? Im trying to learn here

Thank you

Post Thanks / Like

It's not uncommon to catch fish with eggs anytime if the year. I catch them carrying eggs in 20 deg whether in January

Sent from my Z959 using Tapatalk
    HAND TIED CRAPPIE JIGS CRAPPIECOLLECTORS JIGS

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CRAPPIECOL...g_id=515350944
    Likes blueball LIKED above post

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gummy460 View Post
    I caught a crappie last weekend that had eggs in it, they were orange and vibrant like the ones I caught in during the spawn in April/May. The lake is at most 25 foot deep and maybe 300 acres. How could this be? Im trying to learn here

Thank you
    From what lake ?? Lake water temps are still in the 70's at the 10-15ft depths, in some lakes ... so it wouldn't be too far fetched for eggs to still be carried, even this late in the year. Too late for them to be dropped, so they will be absorbed, eventually.

Eagle 1 is offline Crappie.com Legend and Mississippi Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Nature is not as precise as we want to think . Several yrs. ago my brother and I found spawning crappie on Grenada in the last week in may . These fish were in 2-4 ft. of water . Only because a neighbour put a trot line out with minnows for catfish did he complain about crappie on half his hooks .He wanted to know if I wanted them . Sure was a burden but I took them. lol The deer rut rarely comes quick and ends quick either . Most things are based on averages . Like not catching fish when it's wendy . I have held on a tree while my partner wore them out . Fish and learn .
    Likes Snagged again LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

You nailed it Eagle....a tip of the hat to you...
    A good fisherman is someone willing to learn.
    Fishing is synonymous with learning........
    Likes PDog, skeetbum LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

We have been seeing some filets off fish with a yellow tint here in Louisiana. Everyone says it is from the unlaid eggs being absorbing back into the fish.
    If you dont have time to do it right the first time, when are you going to find time time to fix it.

Post Thanks / Like

I managed a male fish 2 days ago with some color still on his belly out in deep water ...water temps are much higher here though .....never say never ......saw lots a week ago with bright yellow eggs myself
    sum kawl me tha outlaw ketchn whales