Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Terribly Shallow

Post Thanks / Like

Default Terribly Shallow

Got yet another HOT tip the fish at a spot I like to hit in the spring were still on good and extra extra shallow . Its a bit of a hike and I didn't have much time total but for about an hour and a half I played lets ketch some . I was all alone there and I think it might be due to the fish being so terribly shallow most don't or cant present the bait properly and gave up on them .
    The fish in many cases are so shallow in this rock pile that they swirl on the surface and sometimes even show their backs while trying to spawn and drive off the nest robbers . Some even hit the float and to be sure you cant fish a jig under a float much less than the 8 inches we are setting the jigs below our floats at that spot . The fish are in 12 to 18 inches of water and I have to say this about that , I sure enjoy hook sets when crappie are this shallow !
    The roll and consequent blow up are to much fun on the hook set . Managed to lose several large fish and got broke off a few times as well , but hey the good news is the average size and smaller throwbacks came in well . A dozen hit the hike with back to the truck I kept for my in laws . Throw backs were in high numbers for sure and I tossed back about 2 times the amount I kept .Thanked my bud for the tip and it was for sure a rip fest .Also managed one large bluegill and one large yellow bass in the mix .
    Color and bait size made no difference and I played with them until it got almost dark . Went out there about 6 pm and got home a bit after 9 pm, so minus 40 minutes of drive time total and about another 20 minutes each way of hiking there you have it .
    Lost 6 jigs and 6 floats and was using some lost floats from the shoreline when I got my line broke the last time, I was packing light and about ran out of jigheads as well ....
    hope you enjoy the read and photos and have a great weekend
    sum kawl me tha outlaw ketchn whales

Post Thanks / Like

I need to find me some of these type spots! Good ones!

Post Thanks / Like

Wow! Nice crappie fillets.
    Be safe and good luck fishing
    Likes Ttexastom LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice catch!
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

Catch um up cook um up. My fish are shallow also. Still under the ice.

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

A great short trip. Nice fish.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

Nice job Outlaw, way to Ketch em! Love it when shallow but wade myself and tightline and love the bigtime THUMP you get. when you are pulling line back to have jig at tip and threading thru brush you are mostly fishing with less than a foot of line and when a big female surprises you! WHOA but dang it's fun.

Ttexastom is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Makes the hike worth it. Great catch
    John 3:16