Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Planning trip to Sparrowfoot area of Truman

Post Thanks / Like

Default Planning trip to Sparrowfoot area of Truman

Hi everyone. I'm a Michigan crappie chaser that will be fishing the Sparrowfoot area for crappie the week before Easter. I prefer to vertical jig and will be doing some of my fishing from a 9.5 ft Bass Hunter pond boat with 3 HP. outboard motor and a trolling motor.
    My question is, is this small boat set up a safe and viable option for this section of the lake?
    I use this setup for jigging crappie on several reservoirs here in Michigan but nothing anywhere close to the size of Missouri's? impoundments. Any help, opinions, or plain speculation should be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Yes you will need a bigger boat

Post Thanks / Like

If you stayed close you would be fine. There is alot of standing timber close to the ramp and an old quarry that is closed in on 3 sides that can be good fishing. Lots of people fish around that area in kyacks.
    Just don't venture to the south any farther than the Quarry because the open water past there can be down right nasty in wind.
    Pm me when you are headed this way and I will give you a call and talk about it.

Hogsters phone
    There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home.
    Likes crappie curt, MinnowDipper, Jerkey Log LIKED above post

Jigging15 is offline Moderator MO OT and MO Tournaments * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Cooper creek area probably a safer place to put in and avoid having to cross the lake. Also Pretty Bob or Otter creek have gravel ramp areas. You could fish any of those with a small boat. Never be able to fish all of any of those in a days time.
    Likes Jerkey Log, dfar LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Hogster1 and Jigging15, thanks for the information. I have a Fishing hotspots map of the lake north of hwy 7 but it only shows just a couple of access ramps. Nice to know that there are others closer to the flooded timber which is where I will probably spend much of my time. My son-in-law in Clinton has a 20 ft BassTracker that he said I'm welcome to use, and I will probably do so if I'm going to try some oper water Ares and methods. I really enjoy getting back in the timber an vertical jigging and my little pond boat is really well suited to that type of stealthy approach. I'll check back in closer to the time of my trip and just might give Hogster1 a shout. Thanks.

Likes Jigging15 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Well I made the 15 hr. drive down from Michigan and am looking forward to getting out on Truman over the next week. Anybody know what kind of water conditions I can expect down around Cooper Creek tomorrow. I'm going to try that area first.

Post Thanks / Like

I was at Sparrowfoot on Sunday and it was pretty muddy and water temp only got to 55 degrees-caught two crappie in deeper water/channels of cove. Left at 1:00 and headed to Tebo-same low success, but the water looked better. You better have strong batteries with the wind I saw!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dgood1158 View Post
    Well I made the 15 hr. drive down from Michigan and am looking forward to getting out on Truman over the next week. Anybody know what kind of water conditions I can expect down around Cooper Creek tomorrow. I'm going to try that area first.

That part of the lake can be bad for 2 reasons..wind and a very tricky channel and lots of widow makers out there(trees right below the surface.) If you have a good GPS on board and its set right(stay on the channel) , you won't lose a lower unit...and with the wind forecast this week, 20 foot alum. boat might be pretty bouncy. absolutely be careful. you might be better off to go down towards Bucksaw with bit clearer water and 2 pole in the creeks in the open and in and out of the timber till you find em. . find the shad and you will find the fish. the guys at bucksaw will send you in the right direction. prob jig tipped with minnow.