Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best crankbait reel for 6'6" Medium Ugly Stik

Post Thanks / Like

Default Best crankbait reel for 6'6" Medium Ugly Stik

I'm hoping to be able to get by with the Medium 6'6" rod so I won't have to buy a lighter one. Question: will the Grizzly reel below be big enough for a rod like this? If not, what reel do you recommend?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

bump

Post Thanks / Like

https://northwoodsoutlet.com/product...trolling-reel/
    I don't use crankbait reels, but I have saw this one mentioned a lot on here. This company also has a larger version.

Post Thanks / Like

I have never used that reel so I can't really speak to it. Are you wanting to pull cranks or cast? If you are pulling cranks as long as it has enough line capacity and is smooth I don't see why it won't work.

Post Thanks / Like

The reel you are showing will be fine if you just using to let line out and retrieving for spider fishing or possibly long lining and most of the time they are used on long 10 to 16 foot rods(poles). But it will not be any good in my opinion for casting , especially using light jigs. Now this is just my opinion and I am not the best with any of these type's of cast reels but the ones with a big thumb bar are better. I just hate the bird nests they make.
    Be safe and good luck fishing

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=ET Fish;3381788][url]https://northwoodsoutlet.com/product/shakespeare

Would this rod/reel combo be overkill for pulling cranks? I'm not interested in casting with it-just trolling cranks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nccater View Post
    I'm hoping to be able to get by with the Medium 6'6" rod so I won't have to buy a lighter one. Question: will the Grizzly reel below be big enough for a rod like this? If not, what reel do you recommend?
    "Would this rod/reel combo be overkill for pulling cranks? I'm not interested in casting with it-just trolling cranks."

That setup should be fine for trolling cranks.
    Be safe and good luck fishing

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=nccater;3381803]
    Quote Originally Posted by ET Fish View Post
    [url]https://northwoodsoutlet.com/product/shakespeare

Would this rod/reel combo be overkill for pulling cranks? I'm not interested in casting with it-just trolling cranks.
    If you're asking me, I really don't know. I am more of a single pole guy, that really needs to diversify his tactics! That being said, my understanding is that when trolling, the line counter feature is important to return to the same amount of line out. I have pulled cranks a few times and had some success. I just don't have the best setup. Big motor is too fast and trolling motor is too slow!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the input guys. I talked to Grizzly Jig earlier and they said that reel would work for that rod. I'm not worried about the line counter because I'm using the Depth Hunter color braid, so I know how much line i'll have out. Thanks again.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Rod length would be fine for "pulling" cranks (off side or out the back), but probably wouldn't be an adequate length for "pushing" cranks (out the front/over the trolling motor). IMHO

The reel should do OK !!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast