Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: missouri river

Post Thanks / Like

Default missouri river

i am new to this forum. does anyone here ever crappie fish on the missouri river?

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the board...glad to have ya,i've never fished the river but i would bet it could be good if a person found some backwater (sloughs,oxbows) do you fish it?give us some idea of where you're from and what lakes you fish maybe someone can be a little more specific.
    For a full line of fluid beds
    soft plastic, jig heads and more see us at

www.simplycrappie.com

http://stores.ebay.com/Simply-Crappie

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome aboard...cats and carp on the river for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Took a couple of trips from the mouth of the Platte upstream to Leavenworth... Just joyriding... Had a few scraps of fish from the market... Not set up for cat'n but I slipped a #4/0 bass hook into a scrap and heaved it at a log. Didn't sink two feet before a 5 lb cat smacked it. Yum!
    Haven't done any river fishing since... keep saying I will...

Post Thanks / Like

I've been courious about this myself! Mississippi or the Missouri aorund St Charles. I've only seen catfishing...wondering about crappie/bluegills?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bugman
    Welcome to the board...glad to have ya,i've never fished the river but i would bet it could be good if a person found some backwater (sloughs,oxbows) do you fish it?give us some idea of where you're from and what lakes you fish maybe someone can be a little more specific.

i am from gower mo. i mostly fish farm ponds, some times smithville and a couple of conservation lakes around here. I have not fished the river for crappie, was just loooking to see if anyone had any tips on it

Post Thanks / Like

Its time to hit farm ponds they usually get real good around here this time of year,as a matter of fact i plan on trying my favorite one tonight its fairly small and has low numbers of crappie but the ones that you catch more than make up for not catching many...they're pigs.
    For a full line of fluid beds
    soft plastic, jig heads and more see us at

www.simplycrappie.com

http://stores.ebay.com/Simply-Crappie

Post Thanks / Like

The river has slabs in it. You need to find a low flow area with brush. Often you can find this behind a wing dike. The crappie move from the river up into the creeks to spawn, and that's where you'll find them on nice days this time of year. With the river drawn down so low, you'll need to find a creed with good deep water in it - and brush. You can catch some real slabs now if the place where the creek meets the river isn't too shallow. Also, don't overlook the potholes caused by floods. You'll generally have to motor on the river, tie up your boat and walk to them. Big slabs possible in all those locations. Good luck.
    Jim - Have boat - will travel.